29: He Can't Resist Her

Mosa had to go with Ethan to a meeting and that left her alone with Fayette in the lab where Fay was occupied with work and Elizabeth was completely distracted. She was thinking of ways of talking to Fay about staying with her. Elizabeth knows that Fay will have tons of questions for her – for starter, how did she know that Fay had no place to go to? Sine Mosa asked her not to mention his name to Fay – Elizabeth has been brainstorming since she came back from lunch. Thankfully, Elizabeth was able to feed the lunch Mosa left for her – saying that Fay didn't look so good and that she should eat. Although Fay resisted Elizabeth was persistent as well – it was not only because Mosa asked her to but because Fayette didn't look too good. Elizabeth successfully talked Fay into having lunch and when Fay tried to pay her – Elizabeth didn't let her and asked her to pay for their next meal. She didn't pay for the lunch – Mosa got it for Fay, but even if she would have bought it with her own money – she would have never taken it from her either.

Elizabeth towards Fay and sighed before she called out her name, "Hey, Fayette." Fayette turned her head to look at Elizabeth with a small smile on her face, "Yes?" She asked. Elizabeth paused and thought about it one more time before she asked, "Hey, Listen." She said and put her pen down before she slowly stepped near to Fay, "Uh, since it is just the two of us here – I need to ask you something that has been bothering me since the lunch break," Elizabeth started. Fay knitted her eyebrows together and nodded her head, "Yeah, what is it?" She asked. Elizabeth sunk her shoulder as she continued, "So, when I came to you during the break and you were talking to someone on the phone," the smile on Fay's face dropped as Elizabeth mashed her lips and continued, "Well, I didn't mean to hear your conversation, but I did." she added.

Fayette was completely silent – she averted her gaze away from Elizabeth and pushed her blonde hair behind her ear. Elizabeth gulped, "Listen, I know we are not great friends, but I want you to think of me as a friend and talk to me if you are in any sort of trouble, okay? I promise I will never say a word to anyone else." Elizabeth said. Fay let out a nervous chuckle as she finally looked at Elizabeth in her eyes, "What? No, I am not in any kind of trouble." She replied. Elizabeth didn't smile back – she could see how uncomfortable Fay was being. It reminds her of her own time – when Freddie cheated on her and she pretended as if everything was okay even when her world was falling.

Fayette realized that Elizabeth wasn't buying her lies – she heard her talk on the phone, after all, so she dropped the act and let out a sigh before she rubbed her forehead. She loosened her hands on her sides and mashed her lips together as her eyes glossed, "Okay." She said. Fayette never really speaks about what she is going through in her life – therefore it is hard for her to open up to Elizabeth. "Uh – I don't know how to say this," she chuckled humorlessly. Elizabeth stepped nearer and put her hand on Fay's shoulder, "You can tell me anything, Fay. I will always be here for you." Elizabeth ensured her.

Fayette felt the ounce of warmth by Elizabeth's nice gesture so she continued with heavy heart, "I got kicked out of my apartment yesterday," She told Elizabeth. Even though Mosa already told Elizabeth that Fayette doesn't have a place to go – she still felt her heart drop, "Where are you living now?" Elizabeth asked. It was fairly cold in Chicago – it must have been so hard for Fayette to find a place in such short notice. Fayette smiled shakenly – she felt embarrassed to tell Elizabeth that, "I didn't have anywhere to go," she choked as tears fell from her eyes. She snuffled and wiped off her tears immediately and bowed her head down, "I was on streets all night long," She added difficulty.

Elizabeth genuinely thought that she would have crashed at somebody's places but to know she spends the whole night on street was painful for her. "Fay," Elizabeth whispered and embraced her in a hug and it was all that took Fay to break down. "It was so cold and I didn't have enough money to get into a motel," She said as Elizabeth closed her eyes. Her own eyes filled with leashed tears. Fayette – the poor soul, it must have been so hard for her. Elizabeth pulled away while both hands were on her shoulders, "Why didn't you crash at someone's place? Wasn't there anyone? A friend maybe or anyone from the family," Elizabeth couldn't help but ask. Fayette snuffled and wiped off her tears – she had stopped crying. She shook her head softly, "No, I don't know many people around and the ones I knew didn't let me stay." She replied. "God, it was so humiliating to go to their doors and ask them to let me spend a night only for them to decline. Some didn't even answer their doors or phones," She added as she rubbed her face.