43: The One They Lost.

Paige was relentless – she couldn't sleep. The rain had just stopped pouring but she couldn't fall asleep – it was probably because she ate at night. She checked the time to see that it was three in the morning. She should better sleep or she will not be able to wake up for work on time. She sighed and tossed to the other side of her bed and closed her eyes when her cellphone rang. Her eyes opened as she stilled for a second. Why would someone call her at such late hours?

She smashed her lips together and sat on the bed before she leaned in and picked her cellphone from the side table. It was Rene. Paige narrowed her eyes – she wondered if Rene was also unable to sleep like her. She answered the phone with a chuckle, "What happened? You can't sleep either?" Paige joked. No one answered her. She knitted her eyebrows together and looked at the screen of her phone to see that she was connected to Rene. "Hello?" she said again – thinking maybe she has now lost the connection.

"No," She received a brief answer but it wasn't from Rene – it was her mother. Paige was taken back – she didn't expect Mrs. Cooke to call her. "Oh – uh – hey, Mrs. Cooke – everything okay?" She asked her and once again she received a delayed answer, "Rene went to sleep," Mrs. Cooke told Paige. Paige was confused – she didn't know what had happened.

Mrs. Cooke never called her like this before. "Mrs. Cooke, are you okay?" Paige asked concernedly. She was worried about Mrs. Cooke and Rene – never once did Mrs. Cooke behave so oddly. She heard a snuffle before Mrs. Cooke broke into sobs, "I will never be okay, Paige." She cried. Paige felt a lump in her throat as she slowly rubbed over her chest – she was nervous – something had happened.

"What happened, Mrs. Cooke? You are freaking me out," She asked. Mrs. Cooke snuffled, "Rene – she went to sleep. She will be sleeping peacefully but she left her mother relentless forever. How could she do that?" Mrs. Cooke cried. Paige felt her heart drop in her stomach, "What – what do mean?" She was scared to ask but she did. Her eyes were filling with tears – was Rene not okay? "Paige, Rene – my baby is gone – she left me alone – forever. My baby is dead," Mrs. Cooke cried. Paige's hands went numb and her phone dropped from her hand.

Elizabeth was rushed to get the treatment into the operating room – Ethan was by her side – still confused. How could this happen to Elizabeth? Her bloody face was frightening to see. "Dr. Griffith!" Ethan heard his name being called loudly. He looked at Dr. Yale and blinked multiple times, "Dr. Griffith, I think you should stay out – we need to stop the bleeding," Dr. Yale said to Ethan – even before he could protest – Elizabeth was already taken in to be treated. Ethan slowly stepped backward while rubbing his face with his palms – he couldn't believe how everything turned unnerving in an hour. He let out a shaky breath and ran his hands in his hair as he recalled about two other victims. He rushed out to see Leo and the other girl.

Leo was being taken care of in the intensive care unit. By the time Ethan reached to see Leo – the doctor had stitched his head wound. Ethan walked into the room where Leo was lying pale on the bed. He looked at Dr. Pollard Gavin, Leo's friend, and a neurosurgeon, "How is he?" Ethan asked. Gavin looked at Ethan who had blood on his clothes and at some parts of his skin. Gavin sighed and nodded his head before looking at Leo lying on the bed. "Maybe we should talk outside," He spoke softly before Gavin and Ethan walked out of the ICU.

As soon as they stepped out Gavin spoke, "Leo received twelve stitched to his head," He said. He was about to tell Ethan more when two police officers, who were waiting outside ICU, walked to the doctors, "What is the update?" The female officer asked. Gavin sighed and turned to look at them, "Dr. Wayne received twelve stitches to his head. He is fine now but we will be running MRI and other brain scans to make sure that there isn't any internal injury. Luckily he did not receive any gunshot wounds," He answered the female officer.