2: Forgiveness Is Hard To Give

Elizabeth was quiet during the whole airplane ride, but so was everyone. No one talked to one another. Ruby, even though with her evil measures, felt a dent behind in her familys heart and mind. No one thought she would take such an extreme measure. Elizabeth would look out of the window to see the thick layers of cloud wondering if she is any closer to her mother. Her love for her mother and the continuous reminder of what she has done in her life and how many lives she has affected kept conflicting with each other. She was feeling like she left a part of her behind and she doesnt want to think about it anymore so, she closed her eyes and tried to give her mind some much-needed rest.

The Harrison family touched down in New York in the middle of the night to attract less attention to them. The all were emotionally and physically drain and none of them was interested in answer the question rose by people who dont even know them. For Elizabeth, the ride to Silass penthouse zoomed with her mind in a constant state of battle. Maria sat beside Elizabeth and she held Elizabeths hand in hers – just to make her feel companied while Owen sat in the passengers seat and Silas drove. It was a long flight for Charlie – also Kathie was being cranky, therefore their father asked them to leave for their place and come back in the morning. Upon reaching Silass penthouse, Elizabeth goes to one of the guest rooms and closed the door behind – she knows that her family is concerned about her, but she doesnt want to talk to them. She doesnt want to tell them that she is okay – when she is not. Her mother, whom she was supposed to take care of, committed suicide – she isnt sure if she will ever be okay. Since she was already exhausted and she knows that tomorrow will be even worse – she decided to just go to sleep.

The next morning, Elizabeth woke up by the chattering coming from outside her room. She closed her eyes tightly as could feel a headache. She blew her cheeks out and with one eye opened she checked her cell phone to see that it was eleven in the morning – she blinked rapidly to adjust her sight and looked towards the thick drawn curtains restricting sunlight from coming in her room. It was the first time since her mothers death that she slept for so long. Maybe her lack of sleep for the past few days and her unable to lose sight of the fact that her mother killed herself finally got to her and completely exhausted her.

She rubbed her throbbing temple and sigh while lying on the bed. Someone knocked at her rooms door and without even thinking she asked them to come in. The door opened and Maria walked in. Elizabeth glanced at her and smiled softly, Hey, Maria said. Elizabeth heaved and flinched as she sat straight, Hey, whats up with all the chattering? She asked meekly. Maria walked nearer to her, Some of your relatives have come to pour in their condolences, Maria replied causing Elizabeth to roll her eyes. Here is it again – people showing their fake concerns. Where were they when Ruby needed them or when the Harrisons needed them? To stay away from the trouble – they always stayed behind and enjoyed the possible drama and now that the media is covering up the story of her mothers death – suddenly everyone around them started to feel sad about it.

Elizabeth lay back to the bed and stared at the ceiling, I just want it to be over. She said. She was tired of people. She is tired of feeling this way. She sighed, Why didnt anyone wake me before? She asked Maria as she sat back. We didnt want to disturb your sleep. You were exhausted after a long flight and honestly, I havent seen you sleep this well since – well since Ruby passed away. Maria replied. Elizabeth agreed – she did sleep well, but her head was throbbing. She smiled and nodded, Yeah, you are right. She answered Maria back.

Elizabeth kept looking at her future sister-in-law as she narrowed her eyes – she has one question in her mind since her mother passed away – she couldnt word her curiosity and ask Maria – but she finally decided to and questioned, Did you forgive her, Maria? Maria knew what Elizabeth was talking about. Maria breathed out loudly and smiled, I forgave her a long time ago, She shrugged. Elizabeth narrowed his eyes and asked bewilderedly, How? Dont you hate her for what she did to you? She asked. Maria chuckled, She did what she did because we gave her the chance. She continued, I was furious when Silas left me, but I was heartbroken when I came to know that Ruby was behind it all. I am more upset than angry – I never get the chance to sit and talk to her, to know why exactly she did it? What was her reason – I wanted to resolve the differences. I am anguished because I couldnt do that. She added.