9: A Secret To Keep

"Oh God, I feel like I haven't slept in three days!" Amanda sat beside Leo on the couch and laid her head on his shoulder. Leo glanced at her and sighed before averting his eyes back on the cell phone, "That's because we hardly did," He answered her. The past week has been hectic for the doctors at West Horizon Hospital. Three days ago a train crashed near Chicago union station injuring hundreds of passengers – the injured were mostly brought to West Horizon as it was the nearest. Unfortunately, seven of those injured couldn't make it due to an extensive head injury while some of those were being treated for their wounds at West Horizon and others were taken to other different hospitals. Leo, Amanda, and Gavin were all in the call room – resting after a nine hours long duty.

Gavin Pollard, Leo's friend, and one of the neurosurgeons crashed on one of the beds in the call room as soon as he came in – he had a lot to do since some of the injured survivors had severe head injuries. Leo has been helping Gavin all day long as well, but Gavin had most of the things done since he is his senior. Amanda was merely busy in taking care of injured children in the Pediatrician's department. With Gavin long asleep and Leo busy scrolling down his phone – Amanda sighed, "I am glad that no children were hurt in the accident, but one kid lost his mother." She told him. Leo stopped using his phone and put in back into his lab coat's pocket, "Yeah, I assisted in her surgery. Her skull was open. She probably got her head hit on something when the crash happened." Leo told her. Amanda mashed her lips together and lifted her head off Leo's shoulder, "Life is so unfair," Amanda said. Leo nodded his head and was about to reply to her when the door of the call room opened and entered Ethan, looking all glorious in his grey suit.

Amanda hunched, "Dr. Griffiths," She said and stood on her feet. Leo, on the other hand, stayed seated while Gavin was still asleep. "You three have been working hard for the past three days." He nodded as he glanced at Gavin before averting his eyes on Leo, "Dr. Wayne, how is your patient with spinal injury doing?" He asked him. "He is stable, but he has yet to wake up. A rusty metal rod went into his back – we took care of some wounds and fractures – also, the infection seems to be in control, but we can't sure of anything until he wakes up," Leo answered. Ethan sighed and nodded his head, "That was a tough case to work on – you have done a great job, Dr. Wayne." He appraised him before he nodded his head and walked out of the room leaving Amanda disappointed.

Leo gazed at pouting Amanda and shook his head. Leo is not someone that speaks a lot, he doesn't ask people how they are doing, he never console anybody – he is unable to empathize, but he has been seeing Amanda crushing over Dr. Griffiths since the day she came to work here and in last five years that guy never even once looked affectionately at her and yet she is all heels over head for him only to be left heartbroken each time they barely interact. He might never say anything but he sure feels bad for Amanda – she is a personable girl, she doesn't deserve to be left by him. "I hate him," She mumbled before she sat back on the couch and put her head on Leo's shoulder. Leo sighed and closed his eyes before resting his head back on the header, "Of course, you do." He muttered.

Elizabeth, on the other hand, has been impatient – it has been six days and she was already tired of living in the hotel – Ethan took her to see her partially furnished apartment yesterday and she loved it. It wasn't too big yet was spacious. She was told that it might take a few more days before she can finally shift. She has decided that if she likes the neighborhood as much as she likes the apartment – she will buy it from Ethan. From tomorrow she will be officially joining work – she has decided to buy a car since it will be easy for her to move around the city and know it better. The last six days she has come to know a few places around her hotel. She is well aware where not to go and where to go. Thankfully to Maria's brother she was able to know about the street she should not be going into at night. Today Elizabeth had to stay in her hotel room most of the time because of the rain – she was getting used to of walking around the area – discovering something new each day, but her plans for today were procrastinated due to the rain.