11: Like Mother, Like Daughter

Leo borrowed Amanda's phone to call on his own cellphone and to his surprise the phone was busy. He frowned and called on his phone again, "What are you doing with my phone?" He mumbled as once again he found his phone busy on another call. Leo was angry at this point – he found it disrespectful to answer someone else's phone. He flared his nostril and called again – this time the bell rang, but Elizabeth didn't pick up the call. "What the hell, Harrison?" He muttered and called again. He wasn't going to back out before she picks up the phone and to Leo's luck and Elizabeth's bad luck – she answered the call, "Uh, hello?" She said.

Leo gritted his teeth vexingly and snapped at her, "Who were you talking to on my phone? Don't you have manners to never use anyone's phone without their permission?!" He scolded at her like she was some defied child. Leo was crossed by her – she already knows too much about him and now she answered the call – God knows who it was. What if it was Mia? He rubbed his eyes and stood on his feet – was getting irate second by second so he said what he shouldn't have, "Is that what your mother taught you, Miss Harrison – to sneak on others phone? Like mother – like daughter." He asked bitterly but immediately regretted it. Leo closed his eyes regretfully and mashed his lips together – he should not have said that. He opened his mouth to apologize, but Elizabeth beat him with words, "How dare you?" Leo could hear her voice wobbling. He heard her sniff before she continued, "I apologize for answering your phone. Your girlfriend called and I talked to her– she will pick your phone from my office and as for you – don't walk around and assume things on your own. Don't you ever try to talk to me or see me, you piece of shit!" She yelled out before she hangs up leaving Leo feeling guilty.

Elizabeth curled her fingers in a fist as she parked her car in the parking lot. She was shaking while she fought with tears. She wasn't sad but furious. All this time she was trying so hard to not let others give any reason to associate her with her mother, but what Leo said maddened her – she didn't want to be like her mother – she was trying hard not to be like her. She closed her eyes and took deep breaths – she couldn't this on her mind especially on the first day of her work. She has to gather herself and show up at the time. She gazed down at Leo's phone on her lap and angrily held it in her hand before putting it in her purse and left the car. All she wanted to do what slam his phone on the ground and stamp on it again and again, but she also doesn't want the anger to rule her mind so, after taking deep breathes she entered in the building with perfect images of killing Leo in dozens of different ways in her mind. She already talked to his girlfriend and asked her to pick up his phone from her – she wasn't going to let him ruin her day even more by showing his pathetic face to her. She showed her new work's identification card that Ethan gave to her when they last saw each other and walked through the automated barriers.

She didn't realize that she was gritting her teeth until a man standing beside her, waiting for the elevator pointed it out, "I am sorry – I know I don't know you and it is not any of my business, but I hope anyone that made you this angry to grit your teeth that hard should rot in hell." He chuckled. She turned her head to look at the tall, dark and quite handsome South Asian smiling at her. She didn't even realize how her emotions were on display and embarrassingly chuckled, "Oh, I am sorry – it is just something." She mumbled. He grinned, "It is quite alright, actually." He said. "Just so know, if someone every bothers you just tell me. I swear American are so afraid of us brown people. I will not even have to do anything. My skin color would be enough." He added with a snicker and Elizabeth wasn't sure how to react – she didn't expect him to say that. After a couple of seconds of awkward silence, he mashed his lips together, "Yeah, I am sorry – I have been told that I always joke at the wrong time and place." He smiled apologetically. Elizabeth chuckled awkwardly, "Uh – I don't know what to say." She replied to the stranger.

He bit his tongue, "I apologize for making you uncomfortable." He put his hand on his chest, "Well, let me just introduce myself to you – I am Mosa Aseel, I have a tendency to make people uncomfortable with my jokes." He stretched his hand out for a handshake. Elizabeth found his name familiar as she shook his hand. She narrowed her eyes, "Wait, do you work at the research lab for vaccination for Zika virus?" She asked. He chuckled before his eyes went wide and his smile dropped, "Are you the Elizabeth Harrison that is joining the team from today?" He asked. Elizabeth smiled and nodded her head, "Yes, I am." She replied. Mosa snickered and fixed his tie uncomfortably and he spoke, "Well, this is not awkward at all." He said.