67: Missing You.

"So, did you see the place?" Leo asked Jennifer who cut her steak with the knife and nodded her head before she looked at him, "Yes, I did. I liked it. I talked to the landlord – he seems interested as well," Jennifer replied as she chewed the morsel and swallowed it down. Leo smiled and nodded his head – he was glad that Jennifer had finally found a place she liked. She sighed and looked at Leo – who was busy eating his dinner and smiled, "Thank you so much, Leo. You have been a real help." She said and from over the table placed her hand on his arm. Leo's eyes went to her hand as he patted her hand with his, "This is what friends do – they help each other," He replied. Jennifer chuckled and withdrew her hand from his arm. She nodded and went back to eating her dinner.

For a few minutes, they both quietly enjoyed their food – Jennifer glanced at Leo. He looked happy. He has been very happy since Elizabeth left for New York. They were working on their relationship and Elizabeth's presence in Leo's life has made him a very optimistic person – he wasn't seeing the negative in anything – for him, everything was going to be okay. Jennifer couldn't believe that she was friends with Leo Wayne – she remembers the first time she saw him at Elizabeth's housewarming party – he looked so reserved and so quiet – who knew that this man will become her close friend. Leo felt Jennifer's eyes on her and lift his head to look back at her, "Everything alright?" He asked her with a small smile on his face. She heaved a sighed, "I never thought that I would be friends with you," She spoke her mind.

Leo chuckled and wiped the corner of her mouth with a napkin, "I know – I am not the friendliest person alive," He replied. Jennifer smiled, "No, but honestly, you are the best person alive – for me at least." She answered back. Leo looked at her and curled his lips in a small smile. He has never been too good with compliments. When Leo didn't reply Jennifer continued, "No one was there to help me. I was all alone with just my old mother praying for me – then you came and made my life so much easier – I guess, mom's prayers were answered." She said. Leo snickered, "I haven't done anything – you are underestimating yourself – you are the one who did the most of it – I was just here to support you," He shrugged. "And there is no bigger blessing than having someone to stand beside you," She answered. Leo only smiled and took a sip of the red wine from his glass.

Jennifer had invited Leo for a thank-you dinner after he helped her in finding a new place for her and her mother. Leo came with the thought in his mind that he will be welcomed by Jenn and her mother, but upon reaching her place he was informed that Jenn's mother had to be somewhere so, it was just him and her. At first, Leo was a little hesitant – finally, things were getting better between him and Elizabeth and he knows how Elizabeth feels about Jennifer – he doesn't want to make her mad at him, but he couldn't walk away either. Jennifer was just his friend – he cares for her as he cares for Maria – her misery reminded him of Maria, therefore, he couldn't stop himself from helping her – most probably because he wasn't there to support his sister in her hard times – he doesn't know it was guilt or was it commiseration, he could leave Jennifer on her own.

After dinner, Leo wanted to leave – although, it was his off the next day but he was feeling a little tired from his shift earlier and get some sleep, but Jennifer insisted to stay a little longer, "Come on, mum must be coming back any time soon – please stay – she would love to meet you," Jennifer said. It was nine in the evening – Leo thought that her mother would be back sooner – he found it impolite to decline to stay to see her mother, so he stayed – hoping for her mother to show up soon. Jennifer made caramel pudding and it was ready so she went in the kitchen to check on it while Leo stayed on the couch. He was checking his emails on his phone when his phone beeped. It was a text message from Elizabeth. A smile curled upon his lips. He instantly opened it.

ELIZABETH: Hey, how did your day go?

Leo smiled. Since she left for New York two weeks ago, she always texts him at night – asking him about his day. They have been talking a lot lately but even though, they are virtually connected – Leo couldn't wait for Elizabeth to come back – he misses her. He replied to her – telling her everything about his but he left out the fact that he was at Jennifer's place – he didn't want to upset Elizabeth. He asked her how her day was going and was waiting for her reply when Jennifer walked out with dessert bowls in a tray, "Okay, just so you know – I made the steak for the first time so, it was tough but this – I make the best caramel pudding – not bragging or anything," She joked and placed the tray on the coffee table. Leo looked at it and smiled, "It sure looks good," He answered. Leo couldn't disagree – the steak was hard to cut through. Jennifer laughed and sat beside him – she gave him on a serving bowl and held another one to herself.