55: A Unique Friendship.

It has been almost a month and a half since Elizabeth came to New York to live with her family – she is still missing more than six months of her life. She doesn't believe that they will come back to her. She thinks about treating those months as if they never existed but that would include believing that Leo and her relationship never happened – even though she doesn't remember anything about their relationship – yet when he kissed her before she felt – it felt so – familiar. The heat and intensity yet the softness of his lips on her were unforgettable – it has been a month but yet she still thinks about it every day. Another thing, she recently found about was that her mother left her something – apparently – she left everyone something.

So, when she looked for it – she found a diary and another packed package which she is supposed to open after completing reading the diary. The bookmark she found in the diary confirmed that she had read it but since she doesn't remember it she started reading it again and since she doesn't have much to do these days – she was done with the entire handwritten diary within two days. She has been feeling more vulnerable since she read her mother's handwritten words.

She learned that her mother was alone and vulnerable for most of her life – now, Elizabeth might not be as vulnerable as her mother was but she sure is alone – even when she has so many people around – she feels lonely – especially since the day she came back to New York. She feels as if she left something behind and whenever she thinks about it – the kiss Leo and she shared on the day she was leaving comes to her mind and fogs every other thing. She sighed and placed her mother's diary on her bed and rested her head back on the header. She felt a lump in her throat but she refused to cry – even when she wanted to bawl her eyes out she doesn't want to cry. Is she really that heartless? She remembers how Leo knows the reason why she can't grieve her mother's death but Elizabeth never asked him – she doesn't know why she couldn't bring herself to ask him – she has become vulnerable – something she never thought she could be.

There was a knock on her door that dragged her out of her deep thoughts. She quickly slides the diary under her pillow and spoke "Yes?" her eyes were on the door. The door slowly opened and Maria was standing at the door, "Hey, can I come in?" She asked. Elizabeth smiled, "You don't even have to ask," she replied. Maria grinned and walked in with her crutches and slowly sat on the bed in from of me before putting her crutches down on the floor. She looked at me and heaved, "How are you feeling?" Her gaze was fixed on her. Elizabeth smiled and nodded, "I am okay," she replied. Maria smiled softly, "I am glad you are," she replied and put her hand over Elizabeth's. Maria didn't want Elizabeth to spell it out for her. She knew that even when Elizabeth says that she was okay – she really wasn't doing so well since she came back to New York. Elizabeth has gone quiet – it was obviously because of the trauma she went through but it also feels as if has left a piece of her back in Chicago – probably a piece of her heart that Elizabeth is still unaware is missing. Elizabeth was trying her best to avert her gaze from Maria's – she felt like Maria could read her eyes and she was afraid that she was going to see the distorted Elizabeth in her eyes.

"Anyway," Elizabeth said after a pause. "How is Charlie doing now?" Elizabeth asked. Maria blew her cheek out, "Well, she is a mess – she is about to pop and I swear it is getting harder for us to spend more than an hour with her," Maria chuckled. Elizabeth laughed, "Is it that bad?" She asked. Maria bobbed her head, "God, it is the worst – I swear, I feel bad for Marcus." Maria replied, "He is living with a ticking time bomb," She added – causing Elizabeth to laugh harder. Charlie's due date was in two weeks and with each passing day, she is becoming a monster. She is either crying or getting angry and complaining about how uncomfortable she is and no one is blaming her for being so extra – she on the verge of giving birth – she was supposed to feel all the emotions rushing in her. Marcus was taking such good care of Charlie that it sometimes makes Elizabeth jealous – only if she had such a caring person in her life.