27: Asked On A Date

"This is the third egg, Elizabeth. One more after this and that's all – we can't waste them. We have to eat them as – well, as they are." Leo said as he gazed at two sunny-side-up eggs with broken yolks and a little undercook. Elizabeth narrowed her eyes and looked at Leo, "I am trying, okay? But it feels like they are going to explore. Don't you hear the sound of it? It was like water in oil." She justified herself. Leo sighed and nodded, "Yes, I hear it – every morning when I am preparing eggs and believe me they don't explode." He replied. There was a hint of gaiety in his voice – something Elizabeth never heard before. She chuckled drily, "Funny," she replied shortly before she looked back at the frying pan. She blew her cheeks out and slowly poured the egg she broke and put in a small bowl before. The egg made a crackling sound and a few oil drops flew and fell on Elizabeth's arm. She squealed and jumped back, "See? See? I almost got burned." She pointed her spatula towards the frying egg.

At that moment for the very first time Elizabeth witnessed something – she witnessed him laugh. Leo was laughing. Never did she ever think that he would laugh in her company. She smiled as she saw him chuckle before he shook his head and came forward, "That's how it is supposed to be," he mirth and took the spatula from her hand and showed her how it was so easy to make eggs and took it out on the plate without breaking the yolk. "See?" He asked as he turned around to look at her already looking right at him with a smile on her face. The grin he had slipped immediately – as he almost realized how quick he was opening up to Elizabeth. He cleared his throat and turned back around before switching the stove off. "Uh, I will put some bread in the toaster." He mumbled and was about to walk past her when she stopped him by grabbing his arm.

Elizabeth gulped, "What is it?" She asked softly. Leo knitted his eyebrows together, "What is what?" He asked as he glanced at her, but she had her eyes fixed on him. "First time since my mother died – I was having fun with someone today," she told him. Leo averted his gaze at her face, "I know you are thinking too much – how about we don't think at all? How about we let this thing between us take us where it is supposed to be?" She asked softly. Leo silently listened to her as she continued after a small pause following a sigh, "I am not going to lie to you – or try to hide anything from you." She looked down briefly before she lifted her gaze to look at him. She withdrew her hand away from him and smashed her lips together, "All my life – I have put others before me and didn't think about myself or what I want, but I don't plan to do it now." She shrugged. "I am just going, to be honest with you and with myself and tell you that – I like you." She whispered.

Leo didn't think that she would say that so soon. He frowned as he stared back at her. She smiled, "I don't expect you to say it back to me yet, but I do want to know that if not today then maybe in near future – you will feel the same about me." She continued, "I want to know that if I give something to you – in future I will get something from you as well. I don't want to rush you, but I do want to know that I am not going to be left heartbroken again," she added. "I want to know that I will not be in pain in the future, because Leo, I can only take too much." She whispered with teary eyes.

Leo never thought Elizabeth would say any of that – there was just too much hesitation between them earlier – even Elizabeth never thought she would be able to vocalize her feelings, but she did. Leo sighed. He wasn't sure what to say. He mashed his lips together when his cellphone started to ring on the counter. They both looked towards it Elizabeth let out a sigh – the moment was gone. She twisted her lips and made her way to the toaster, "I will toast the bread. You should get the call," She spoke softly as she took bread slices and put them in the toaster. She wanted to smack her head to the wall – she doesn't know why she had to say that all. Leo must have freaked out after listening to her.

After several rings, Leo finally answered the phone. He sighed as he knew who it was at the other side, "Hey," he said softly and glanced towards Elizabeth who had her back at him – slowly put the slices in the toaster. "Hey, where have you been? I have been trying to reach out for you since last night," Mia said from the other side. Leo rubbed his eyes as he recalled why he couldn't answer his phone – he was busy. He gulped and with one last glance at Elizabeth he walked out of the kitchen. He sniffed, "Yes, I was out." He replied short. There was a small pause, "Really? Where were you?" she asked him. He exhaled loudly – he has never been a fan of her constant questioning. "I was out with friends, Mia. Why what happened? Is everything alright?" He asked with Liam on his mind. "Yes, well – Liam misses you. He was asking when you will come to visit him again. You hardly ever visit these days." Mia spoke humbly.