Blind Love

It was a given that there will be a side effect to the antidote he will be taking but it never once occur to him that he will lose a huge chunk of what helps him with being a detective. His sight.

Haibara already warned Shinichi that a possible side effect might damaged one of his senses but he didn't listen and nevertheless still took the risk, which he slightly started regretting when he one day woke up in complete darkness. Shinichi was scared, terrified that he might have to give up being a detective, never to solve a case again. But he still didn't give up.

For the last 2 years of being in Los Angeles where Shinichi, along with Haibara and Professor Agasa are staying at his Parent's place, it was time for him to go back home, back to Japan.

"Are you sure you're ready to go back?"

Currently, all three of them are already in a plane to Japan where Haibara is seated beside him and Professor Agasa seating behind them. If Shinichi has to be honest with himself, he was rather worried about what will Ran and the others think if they found out that he has became blind. He disappeared for 2 years and now he will be returning back with sun glasses on and a cane in hand? They will surely asked what happened to him and no mere excuses like being in an accident will be enough. It was time to tell them the truth and Shinichi is willing to give them this truth.

Turning his head to the direction of Haibara's voice, Shinichi smiled while he closes the Sherlock Holmes braille book he was reading.

"Yes. You know the reason why I refused to come along with my parents to live overseas was because I didn't want to leave Japan. That's the place where I belong and whether the people judge me there or not, I don't care."

Upon hearing this, Haibara only sighed then smile. Despite Shinichi losing his eyesight, he was still the same stubborn detective and precious friend she met. When the detective woke up after taking the antidote, the first thing he said made her heart break which till this day, she still cries every night for not making a better antidote that will decrease the risk of a side effect.

"I can't see."

It took a lot of asking but they managed to convinced Shinichi to flew to Los Angeles where his parents are, with a few scientist acquainted with his father who's willing to help in creating a drug that will nullify the side effect of the antidote he took. Unfortunately, they found out that if they decided to make Shinichi take the drug, there is a huge chance that it will also cancel the effect of the antidote which will result into APTX 4869 turning him back into a child again and this time, he might permanently remain as a child with his mind turning into one as well.

That's why with no hope for recovering Shinichi's eyesight, he decided to embraced it instead and immediately started his journey with adapting to this dark world he will be living in. However, there is just one thing he regretted not seeing before he lost the ability to see.

"Ahh, even if I catch him now, I'll still fail to 'see' what he really look like."

***

"Why didn't you told me sooner?... N-now, you wouldn't even-"

"Ran, I actually found a way to continue being a detective even without the help of my eyesight so don't worry alright? I'll be fine."

Shinichi assured her while he tries to cup her face, which Ran quickly took and placed it on her cheeks.

It's already been two days since he returned back to Japan and after mastering up the courage to asked Ran and the others to come visit him, he finally did. At first, they all thought Shinichi was messing around but knowing the detective, he wouldn't dare joke around when it comes to this kind of disability which is why all of them were heartbroken by the fact that Shinichi wouldn't have the ability to see anymore.