Reminiscence

Genre:Romance, Fantasy, Angst

Date Published: April 16, 2024

A/N: It's been awhile since I started writing again so I'm sorry if it's a bit different from my usual writing style LOL

***

All sorts of phenomenal exist in this world; Whether it's from a rumor that started in a room full of students or a myth told by the old folks. To Kaito, it's a first handed experience nobody knows but him and the other being he called, Shinichi.

***

The experience was something he described as mystical. A scenery he could never find somewhere in this world but only here where he stands. An ordinary pond in the eyes of those who discovers it, but a hypnotic spell that never fails to allure him once the night comes.

It was by chance when he first discovered the magic behind it. A pond that resides within an abandoned greenhouse deep in the mountains. A run for the police after a heist that turned into discovering such a place.

Looking up at the night sky, Kaito edge to the pond and sat down with a book in hand. The night was quiet but slowly, the calm surface of the body of water in front of him ripples as light emits at the bottom of it. As the blue light gets brighter, the water begins to move towards the center and form a figure of what looks like a person.

Kaito squinted his eyes due to the bright light and smiled knowing what comes after the light dies down. The light slowly disappears and there, at the middle, is a being standing on the surface of the pond.

A translucent slender form that looks like a human with a light glow emitting from its body, cowlick hair that seems to dance in the night breeze, piercing blue eyes that stood out from the rest of his figure and a violin in hand as he begins to play.

The familiar melody hits Kaito's ear like a lullaby. Each stroke of the bow is a wave of light dancing in the air as he moves around the pond, feeling each note of melody with his eyes closed.

The scene in front of Kaito never fails to make him go along with the being's performance as he steps one foot onto the water. The new disturbance on the body of water caught the attention of the being as it looks towards Kaito's direction.

Slowly, he moves gracefully towards the indigo eyed human with poised and never broke eye contact. Shinichi stop a few feet away from Kaito and finish the show with a high pitch note that fades away into the night sky.

"I see you're the one who dared disturb this sacred place." Shinichi spoke after he finished playing the violin, earning him a round of applause to the magician.

Despite his snarky remark, he knows that his glad to see a familiar face in this gloomy place he calls home. Even if sometimes, Kaito's company can be annoying.

"Who else would it be beside your only audience whose honorable to see your wonderful performance?" Kaito smirked. He waves up the book he brought which brighten the mood of the being in front of him, knowing how he can easily pleased him with just a simple book. (Though, not so simple since it's mostly mystery and detective related novels)

With that, he beckon Shinichi to their usual spot just near the pond. Without complaining, Shinichi drops the violin as it disappears into thin air before it hits the ground and follows the magician.

***

The night was peaceful with Shinichi's full attention to the new edition of the novel he's been reading and Kaito, just beside him, admiring the breathtaking view in front of him.

It felt like it hasn't been long since he started sneaking out at night to visit his spirit friend but it's actually been three years now. Kaito felt some sort of connection when he first saw Shinichi performing on the pond. Kaito clad in white after escaping the task force and the being still emitting the white glow he has while he gracefully walks around the pond, the moonlight shining down on him like a spotlight.

Some might say that its love at first sight but to Kaito, it felt like something more than a cliche line from a cheesy romance novel. Perhaps like a new piece that he doesn't know has been missing in his life until now. Still a cheesy line but it felt right.

Shinichi glanced at the human beside him when he felt the magician's stare has been going on much longer than usual. He was creep out at first when they just started getting to know each other but now, its something that turned into a normal routine between them. Kaito respectfully admiring him and Shinichi ignoring this while he reads the novel the magician has been bringing for him.

"At some point, you'll end up drilling a hole on me with your constant staring, Kaito." Shinichi said breaking the silent as he closed the book with a flick of a finger.

Kaito only shrugged and lean closer to him, even though he knows that he cannot touch Shinichi no matter what he does. Strangely, the thought of not being able to touch him made Kaito sad in a weird way.

"You know, it's already been three years since we met and you still haven't told me why you're here." Kaito brought up a topic. He knows Shinichi always find ways to dodge this question but right now, he wants answers. A bit insensitive on his part but he can't wait any longer. Kaito wants to know eveything about him. From his favorite song to places he would love to visit if he could leave this place.

Shinichi paused upon hearing this question. After a few minutes of silent, he sighed and tilt his head up to the sky while staring at the broken glass roof of the greenhouse. It was a simple question but the answer has some weight in his heart. He doesn't want Kaito to know the tragic events that happened on this place, especially knowing how much involvement the magician has on it.

However, secrets can go on for so long that it was time for him to find out.

Shinichi stood up and walk back to the pond, leaving a trail of ripples on the water as he stops on the middle with his back still turned on Kaito. The said magician was confused but followed the being. Even if his body is already submerge to his waist, he didn't stop until he was an arm reach on Shinichi.

The light slowly appeared once more on the bottom of the pond just like the first time Shinichi appeared. He turned around and to Kaito's surprise, saw a pained expression on his face. However, what the man in front of him said left him more speechless than the sight in front of him.

"I killed you, that's why I'm here."