Final Selection [6]

I was feeling confident as Tetsuo and I kept walking. I knew we were close because the path we were walking was lined by large beautiful trees of wisteria. They almost seemed to be glowing.

Tetsuo: Well ain't this just gorgeous.

He looked around at the nature around us and was practically hopping up and down out of amazement at the sight.

Y/N: You can say that again. This place looks insane.

Tetsuo: Look over there.

We looked forward and saw a giant staircase coming up. I didn't see it before because I was admiring the wisteria plants all around. The staircase was large and it was steep. I couldn't see what was past the top of it.

Y/N: Nowhere to go but up.

We got to the staircase and stopped at the bottom of it to check it out.

Tetsuo: This is in good condition. They must really care about their image here.

Y/N: I concur. But I do wonder what's at the top of this staircase. You ready?

Tetsuo put his foot on the first step and looked at me.

Tetsuo: Yup.

We started walking up the steps and my nerves went crazy. Every step made me feel more and more anxious to know what was awaiting us at the top of these stairs. It felt like an endless staircase, but eventually, we got to the top of it and emerged at the top of the mountain.

Tetsuo: Well would you look at that.

At the top of the staircase were dozens of people waiting. Some younger than me, some older. But there were at least 30 people up there.

Tetsuo: There are more people than I imagined.

Looking around at the people there, everybody already had their own weapons ready. Most of the people there had a strange look of anger on their faces. Either they didn't want to be there or they wanted to hurry up and begin. People were talking in small groups or sitting around waiting.

Y/N: So this is the competition, huh?

Tetsuo: No.

Tetsuo sounded more intense in saying that than he usually does.

Tetsuo: Don't misread the situation. Nobody here is competition. If anything, it'd be best for us to walk around and make as many friends as possible. We can all make it through to the end, but some of these people will be too stubborn to work together.

Y/N: I see.

**Everybody can pass, but not everybody will. We weren't competing against each other... If we were smart we'd all just stick as a big group until we made it through, but it wouldn't be that simple**

Y/N: You know a lot about this Final Selection. You did say your dad was a part of the Demon Slayer Corps before.

Tetsuo: Right. He told me a little of what to expect from this place. Or at least what to expect from the other aspiring Slayers here. This isn't just a trial. This is life or death.

We walked past the crowds of people trying to reach a large gate that stood in front of a forest. All eyes were on me and Tetsuo as we walked through. We stuck out like sore thumbs. Most everybody else had similar attire and weapon choices, but from our multi-colored clothes to our unique swords, everybody was interested in what we were about.

Y/N: I didn't know there was a dress code for this place.

Tetsuo: Me neither. I didn't hear anything like that. I guess that's just comfortable clothing?