Death | Hero [8]

**Make it to the other side, Y/N. Don't slow down and don't think.**

I had rested for a while before getting up and making my move. I was tired and my body was sore, but it wasn't anything I couldn't push through. I could feel that I l was getting close to the end of the mountain.

Demon: Gotcha!

A demon jumped out from behind a tree while I was running and tried to pounce on me. I rolled out of the way and drew my sword. It came at me again, but I was able to take its head off in just one swing. It's body burnt up into ashes as I fought through the sharp pain I felt with every large move I made.

**Did I break something? I can't keep making such drastic moves. It hurts like h*ll!**

I was in pain regardless of if I broke something or not. At the end of it all, though, I had to keep moving.

**You can rest once you make it to the end.**

I kept running, fighting the urge to stop despite the sharp pain I kept feeling in my side where I had blocked the demon's punch from before. I saw large purple trees ahead where I was running to.

**Is that Wisteria?**

The thought of it being Wisteria compelled me to run faster. The finish line was right in front of me, so I got an energy boost. I made it to the trees and confirmed that they were Wisteria, but I didn't stop when I got there. I was so happy that I just kept running. Eventually my adrenaline high wore off and I stopped running. By then I was completely surrounded by Wisteria trees. On the trail ahead of me there was another staircase leading up. In front, it had a gate similar to the one at the entrance.

**Climb those stairs and you're done. You made it.**

I looked back in the direction I just came from to see if anybody else had made it through and was coming up. I waited there for a few minutes hoping that Tetsuo or at least somebody would appear. Nobody did.

**Maybe I'm last? That's gotta be it. I did take a pretty long rest, so everybody else is probably up those stairs already!**

I felt a soft smile come to my face and a feeling of peace come over me. I was gonna go up those stairs and I'd have completed the Final Selection. My eagerness to finish overpowered the pain in my body as I walked over to the staircase and headed up. It felt like the sun was triumphantly shining down on me as I walked up the steps.

**I don't know where to go after this, but that's a problem for another time.**

When I reached the top of the staircase, I looked around at who was up there and my happiness turned to sorrow.

**Those 2 kids from the entrance. That girl and her sister, Jazz. A man with long black hair and ripped clothes... Where's Tetsuo?**

Upon hearing my footsteps, the other examinees turned and looked back to see who was coming. Everybody looked worn-out. Even the girl who seemed so elegant had tattered and dirtied clothes. The shorter girl left her sister and started walking over to me.

???: Oh, hey! You made it! I knew you would-

I felt my legs give out as I collapsed to the floor. The physical pain was tolerable, but the emotional pain combined with the physical was not. I couldn't help but be overcome with a feeling of dread at not seeing Tetsuo up here.

**Did he die? There's no way, not Tetsuo... But where is he?**

???: Hey!?

I fell face first into the ground and just laid there before letting myself pass out.