Move Forward [38]

Moving forward, I need to make sure I am both mentally and physically prepared for whatever may come. I heard a lot of ruckus in the halls. I got up to go investigate and found out that Tanjiro, Nezuko, Zenitsu, and Inosuke had returned from the mission while I was sleeping. I ran down to go see them. Inosuke, Tanjiro, and Zenitsu were sleeping. Kiyo, Naho, Sumi, and a couple of Kakushi were there treating them in their sleep. When Nezuko saw me enter, she ran over to me. She had tears falling from her eyes and was crying.

**Poor thing... I can only imagine what it must've felt like to be there and now be back only to see all your friends in their current conditions... Poor Nezuko.**

I knelt down and hugged her tightly. Even the cheerful and energetic Nezuko was going through it now. I stood back up, but she didn't let go of me so I didn't let go either. I looked at the others sleeping. Tanjiro's skin was pale and he looked the worst of the three. Inosuke looked fine other than some cuts and bruises. Same with Zenitsu.

Kakushi: Lord Y/N... I'm sorry you have to see them like this.

Y/N: Don't worry about it. Thanks for doing everything you can right now.

Kakushi: Of course.

Kiyo: Zenitsu's waking up!

After a few moments, Zenitsu opened his eyes. He stared up at the ceiling.

Zenitsu: Oh...

He looked at Kiyo who was standing next to his bed.

Zenitsu: I see... I died and went to heaven. Now I'm being welcomed by an angel.

Zenitsu reached out and tried to hug Kiyo.

Kiyo: Zenitsu... Again, please be respectful of females.

Zenitsu: Oh...

Zenitsu sank back down into the bed before he looked over at me. He got all bubbly when he saw Nezuko.

Zenitsu: Nezuko-chan~❤ thank goodness you're alright!

Nezuko pulled her face out of my torso and looked over at him. She was still teary-eyed.

Zenitsu: Nezuko-chan, you don't have to cry for me! I'm okay.

Y/N: Zenitsu...

Zenitsu: Yes, Nezuko-chan? I mean... What is it?

I looked down at Nezuko who had her face in my shirt again. I felt that the mood in the room was going to change, but I didn't want them there to hear what was going to be said.

Y/N: Girls, do you mind stepping out for a moment?

They all looked at me and acknowledged the stern look on my face.

Naho: Okay... We're done checking on them.

Sumi: If something goes wrong please call us.

Y/N: I will, thank you for understanding.

The girls left the room and I turned to Zenitsu. Nezuko refused to let me go, so I couldn't send her out either.

Y/N: Zenitsu, what happened... On your mission, what happened?

Zenitsu laid back and stared at the ceiling. He clearly didn't want to talk about it, but I needed some type of closure.

Zenitsu: I assume you're asking because you already know.

Y/N: Rengoku's crow told me. There were 5 of you... How did it go down that way?

I realized I was projecting the blame for what happened to them. Surely everybody tried their best, but I was confused as to how it happened.