The Hashira [14]

I fell asleep and woke up multiple times throughout the night. My body was hurting which made it hard for me to get comfortable. I also couldn't stop thinking about Mitsuri. I was thankful for her but saddened that I made her feel that way. By the time the morning came, I felt surprisingly well-rested even though I didn't sleep much.

**Something smells good.**

It smelled like somebody had been cooking. Unless somebody else had arrived, Mitsuri and I were still the only two at this house. She was likely making breakfast. I got out of bed and headed out of the room. Mitsuri was sitting at her table eating and reading a note. There were tons of empty bowls and plates stacked up on the table.

**Did she eat all of that on her own? That's a whole feast.**

Across the table from her were a few bowls and plates that weren't empty. I walked over. I was hesitant to say anything to her after what I said last night, but I wanted to show her decency in her own home.

Y/N: 'Mornin, Mitsuri.

She turned around with her cheeks puffed up full of food. She choked down what was in her mouth before she spoke.

Mitsuri: Good morning. Did you sleep well?

Y/N: I slept just fine. Thank you for letting me stay here.

I didn't actually sleep that well, but I didn't want Mitsuri to think it was the fault of any hospitality she was showing me.

Mitsuri: That's good. I made us breakfast.

She gestured to the other side of the table where there were bowls and plates of food.

Y/N: Is that all for me?

Mitsuri: Mhm.

I walked over and sat down across the table from her. There was so much food there that it could last me through the entire day and into tomorrow.

Mitsuri: I hope it's enough for you.

Y/N: Enough? This is more than enough. Thank you for the meal.

Mitsuri: No problem.

I started to eat as she sat across from me and watched with a smile. It was kind of weird at first, but she had such a warm face that it almost felt normal. My body ached as I ate. Even something as small as eating was painful.

Mitsuri: Does it taste okay?

Y/N: It's great, thank you again. You should've told me sooner you were such a good cook.

She started to blush and smiled.

Mitsuri: I've had some great teachers. But I'm not all that great. I normally have people cook for me.

She stared at me with a concerned look on her face.

Mitsuri: You're not fully recovered. You should take things easy for a little bit.

Y/N: You're probably right.

Mitsuri: You know, I've been summoned for a Hashira meeting, but you're more than welcome to tag along.

Y/N: Oh?

She got flustered.

Mitsuri: Only if you want to, that is! I figure you probably have places to be and things to do, but.

Y/N: I'd love to go with you.

Mitsuri: I'm glad you said that. Then we have to leave soon.

Y/N: Really? You running late or something?