Until Next Time [40] (FINALE)

Shinobu: That man... Tengen... I've had it up to here with him.

A day had passed since they left and Shinobu had returned from her mission to be informed about what transpired here. She was frustrated with Tengen's childish decision-making. Shinobu sat at her desk and I sat in another chair.

Y/N: It's a good thing we showed up when we did.

Shinobu: Yes it is. I must thank you for stopping him.

Y/N: Thank Tanjiro, Inosuke, and Zenitsu. They were the ones who went in their place. Without them showing up, things might've gone badly.

Shinobu: Well from what I heard, Uzui would've left with the girls had you not shown up when you did. So do give yourself more credit.

She sighed.

Shinobu: I'm sure to let him hear it next time I see him...

Y/N: Lady Shinobu, that's actually why I came to see you right now.

Shinobu: Hm?

Y/N: I'm leaving... I'm going after him.

Shinobu: Oh you are?

Y/N: Yeah. I don't know him as well as you do, but the way he was acting... Something's gone wrong and he might need my help.

Shinobu: You may be right. But Y/N, dear, why do you sound so upset?

Y/N: I'm just feeling conflicted...

Shinobu: What about?

After Rengoku's death, the Demon Slayer Corps took a big hit to their forces. With the loss of power, I was expecting that many missions would be popping up. For that reason, I would probably be traversing the country a lot and wouldn't get much rest time. I wasn't going to be coming back to the Butterfly Estate after I left.

Y/N: I don't think I'm coming back here any time soon once I leave. I'm just a little sad to go is all.

Shinobu got up from her desk and walked over, standing in front of me. She leaned over the chair I was sitting on and wrapped me in a hug. She was so warm and gentle. Hugging her felt like I was hugging a cloud. She had things she was hiding, but to me, she'd always been sweet.

Shinobu: Don't be silly, Y/N. Even if you don't immediately return, the doors of my home will always be open to you.

Her words and embrace made me feel like crying, but I didn't.

Shinobu: Your willingness to serve is commendable. The quicker we get rid of these demons, the more time we'll all have to take it easy. So don't be sad about prioritizing the bigger picture.

Y/N: I guess so.

Shinobu: And when you go see Tengen, give him a piece of your mind for me.

Y/N: I will.

Shinobu: Then don't let me hold you up.

She let go of me and stood up straight. She extended her hand to me and helped me up from the chair.

Shinobu: You'd better go say your goodbyes to the others and get going. Until we see each other again, which may not be too long actually.

I stared at her and her smile dropped.

Shinobu: What is it?

**No matter what else I could say to her, there were no words I could think of to express my admiration and love for her. She's been taking care of me for years on end with no strings attached... Sometimes actions just have to speak louder than words. I'll make this world right for you.**