Chapter Fourteen

CHAPTER FOURTEEN- Ishmael's Day Off

After all of Xavion's lessons, the next few days flew by with Grant going through my human lessons. I found myself enjoying his calm way of explaining things.

I didn't even mind the fact that he never wore pants anymore. I was used to him waking me up and launching into a lecture about how to "behave in public."

That's why waking up on Thursday was weird.

No one woke me. Grant was making something on the stove, whistling softly. And Xavion was nowhere to be seen.

I looked at the electronic all-knowing time-knower and realized it was way later than the time I was usually awake. I looked over at Grant and propped myself on my elbow. "What's happening?"

Grant jumped slightly and turned to me quickly. He had his hand clutched to his heart as he blew out a breath. "Jeez, Ishmael. You scared the absolute fuck out of me."

I shrugged and rolled off of my couch. A light pain shot through my arm as it collided with the living room floor. Grant sighed from the kitchen. "Ishmael, I thought I went over how to properly get off of a couch last week."

I sat up and rubbed the pain out of my arm. "We had sitting-things in heaven," I grumbled, "I know how to properly do it."

"Then act like it." He scoffed. He returned to the food he was making.

I tilted my head at his back. "Why didn't you wake me up?"

He shrugged. "It's your day off. I figured I'd let you sleep."

I stood up and dropped my blanket onto my couch. "Day off?" I asked, joining him in the kitchen. I leaned over his pan to see the familiar scrambled mess of baby chickens.

Grant glanced at me. "It's Thursday."

I blinked.

"Come on, Ishmael. We just went over the ways of the week a couple days ago." He set down his kitchen utensil to raise an eyebrow. "What are they?"

I scrunched my nose and thought. "How does the tune go?"

Grant started to hum a little song. I considered it for a moment, fitting different syllables to find the familiar order. "Ummm..." I started singing. "Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday--" I paused.

"Friiiiii..." Grant trailed off, waving for me to continue.

"Friday, Saternday, Sunday!" I grinned in accomplishment.

"So close!" Grant hissed. "It's Saturday. No N."

I crossed my arms. "I could have sworn Saturn was a thing."

"It's a planet." Grant nodded.

"Monday, moon-day." I scoffed. "Saturday, Saturn-day. Sunday, Sun-day." I crossed my arms. "What's with that? Is it a day of the week or a celestial object? It's confusing."

Grant paused his cooking and looked to me. "Bruh, I never noticed that."

The conversation faded. I watched as Grant cooked for a bit. I finally sighed. "What am I supposed to be doing?"

"Whatever." Grant shrugged. "It's your day, man."
I frowned at that. "What about Xavion?"

"He already left." Grant shrugged. "Something about "work." He's probably selling something to someone." He shrugged. "He also told me to get a job when he left, sooo I may go out job hunting today."

I scrunched my eyebrows. "What do I do if you're both gone?"

"Whatever."

"Last time you left me alone, I was attacked by a demon." I pointed out.