Chapter Thirty-One

CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE- Meeting the Band

It sounded like there was a war happening within the house. Loud, violent crashes were coupled with weird, rhythmic screaming that sounded jarring. I stared at the door with apprehension, wondering what horrors lie behind it.

Xavion shrugged and approached the house. "This is definitely it."

Grant gave the house a dreadful glance before walking up to the door.

"Wait!" Xavion hissed, holding out his phone and waving it. "We should probably avoid his mom. She'll get really suspicious if she sees the homeless dudes from the church parking lot trying to hang out with her son."

Grant paused and winced. "Oh god, that sounds so creepy. We can't stay here long, then, for sure. Look-- here's the game plan. We listen to their new song, get the supposed new info from Chris, and we bounce. Got it?"

I nodded.

Xavion shrugged and started tapping away at his device. "I'll let him know we're here."

"Is that a yes to the plan or a no to the plan?"

Xavion shrugged again.

"Xavion." Grant muttered. "I need to know if you're in or if you're gonna try to fuck us over with another one of your horrible ideas."

I took my time to observe the house again, drowning out Xavion's defensive reply. It was definitely one of the prettiest houses I've seen. It was large and made of white and creamy bricks-- a coloration that would fit right in with the gleaming houses of heaven. The grass was nice and green, obviously well taken care of. It was quite short though, not nearly as impressive of a length as Granny Gert's house had been.

I wonder how Granny Gert's been lately.

Xavion buried his phone in his nose. "The kid says he's gonna get us--"

A white wall from the house suddenly began to open. It created a loud, rumbling noise as it slid open and exposed the inside. I jumped as the movement caught me off guard. When the door-wall-thing was finally completely open, I could see a gaggle of young kids observing us. Including Christopher, there were four of them. Christopher grinned at us. "Welcome to the night of your lives!" He yelled, pumping his fists in the air.

Xavion raised an eyebrow. "It's, like, 3 in the afternoon." Suddenly, he smirked deviously. "But, I suppose that really is starting to get near your bedtime, hm?"

Christopher glowered and pointed a wooden-stick at Xavion. "My bedtime's not until 10 pm."

"That's sad."

"It's 11 on weekends." Chris defended.

"That's sadder."

"So, what, you're the weird dudes that Chrissy seems to think are legitimate demons?" One of the other kids broke in, staring at us with a mixture of unease and disgust. Her hair was wild and pink, streaked with contrasting blues. Though the hair seemed really intense to me, she had pretty heart-shaped earrings that softened her appearance.

"Trust me. They are." Christopher confidently assured them.

The girl with the hair flipped it and narrowed her eyes at us. "I dunno. They seem pretty suspicious to me." She gestured at us with a large, interesting-shaped item I hadn't noticed she was holding until now. "I thought you didn't believe in that shit, anyway."

One of the other kids, the one on the other side of Chris, nodded in agreement. He was awfully plain in comparison to the girl with wild hair. Brown hair. Long-sleeved hoodie. Jeans. The kid poked Chris's arm. "Bell's got a point."