Chapter Twenty-Three

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE- Crushing

It's easy for a week to fly by, I realized. Once Grant started his job, he was gone a lot more often. Jessica was always taking Granny Gert places and sometimes Xavion would go out and do his "job". I ended up alone a lot. If I wasn't alone, I was usually stuck with Xavion.

You would think that it would be chaotic with just the two of us, but it was starting to become something more routine than that. Sometimes, we went on little adventures to darken my soul. Other times, we'd just chill and watch a show. I noticed that the hot, fluttery feeling I discovered while spray painting was not just a one-time thing.

Throughout the week, I've been getting the random urge to have Xavion's attention on me. Even more weirdly-- I felt increasingly awkward when it was. I used to be able to hang out with him no problem, but now he was making me sweaty and shy. Which was incredibly problematic because we still had to share an air mattress together.

And yeah, at first, sharing an air mattress was an annoyance. But, now, I didn't mind waking up with him sprawled all over me.

Even his annoying, dumb face was somehow endearing.

I was starting to grow concerned. Was I sick? Was I allergic to his demon-energy or something? Is that a thing?

When I had asked him if it was possible to be allergic to demons, he raised an eyebrow and asked me if I thought about my words before I spoke them.

I was hoping to wait out the odd feelings, but a week has gone by and I'm not so sure that they'll end anytime soon. Especially since we end up alone so often.

Today, Grant was working and Jessica was taking Granny to visit one of her old friends at the hospital.

"Hey, Ishy-poo." Xavion called for me, leaning over the kitchen counter. "I'm bored as shit, let's do something."

"Meh." I shrugged. "I just wanna chill."

He pouted childishly. "You said that yesterdayyyyy," he whined, "I actually wanna do something."

I sighed. "You go, I'll chill on the couch." Away from you and your dumb demon-energy I'm allergic to.

"Noooooooooo." He groaned. "Come with me, I'll get you ice cream if you do."

I paused and thought about it for a moment. I turned and glared. "Peanut Blast?"

"Well, that's only at that specific place." He explained, "and you've embarrassed me enough there."

I shrugged and grabbed the TV-controller. After staring at it for a moment, I finally located the button to turn the machine on. I clicked it hard, training it on the TV and waiting for it to turn on. "Have fun going all alone to a different place."

Xavion grumbled for a bit, grabbing his things. I could feel him glaring at the back of my head. "Fine. I'll take you to your goddamn Peanut Blast."

I felt a grin overtake my face as I hopped off the couch and skipped over to him. I didn't bother to try to turn off the TV-- it hadn't obeyed me and turned on in the first place. Xavion gave me a glower and motioned for me to follow.

We walked out of Granny Gert's house and down her untended driveway. I noticed, looking at the neighbor's lawns, her grass was far longer. I wonder what she did to get it that long.

Xavion started walking along the sidewalk in a direction that was beginning to become vaguely familiar to me. We walked until we were in an area with more buildings, then we finally ended up outside of the colorful building of Peanut Blast. I happily entered, not waiting for Xavion.