Chapter Thirty

CHAPTER THIRTY- Chapter Title

"Well, then spill." Xavion rolled his eyes. "Let us know what puny, sad information you got."

Chris shrugged. "They spent most of the time asking people if anyone's caught sight of you. Or if anyone knew where your 'base' was. I had to hold in a laugh, like, the entire time."

Grant frowned. "Is that it?"

"Well, they also gave a reeeally long rant about the importance of staying away from demons. And how "the holy angel" must be saved before it's too late or some shit. I dunno, I started reeeally zoning out when they started getting all holy and justice on us. Then, the battle plans they started making were so snooze-worthy that my ears practically shut themselves."

"Seriously?" I drawled. "You decided to clock out of the conversation right at the battle plans?"

"You don't understand how boring it is. They're all like 'So, who wants to volunteer to watch for activity on Baker's Street this Thursday night?' and no one raises their hand, so it's just awkward silence. And, eventually, like two people volunteer at the same time and then start apologizing and like 'no, no, you can do it' and 'are you sure, if you want it you can have it' and it's just back and forth until someone either concedes or I blow my brains out."

"Was that just an example or will there really be someone watching for demon activity on Baker's Street Thursday?"

Chris nods. "Mrs. Terry will be there. That's most of what they've got planned, though. Just 'looking for activity'. Oh, and of course they talked about the angel they're in cahoots with. Apparently, the guy thinks he's close to your trail. I've never met him before, but Father John speaks highly of his skill." With that, Chris shrugged. "Personally, I think it's all bologna."

Xavion scowled, crossing his arms. "So, that's all the info you got?"

"I dunno, man. It's not like they have this big, huge plan they want to unleash. They don't even know where ya are. And, I mean, it's not like we're living in a movie. You don't got the CIA after you, it's just Father John and the religious posse. So, like, I dunno. I'm not sure it's a big deal."

"Not a big deal?!" Xavion's hands shot up. "This is our lives, man. We've nearly been killed!"

"Technically, you're the only one who has nearly died." Grant pointed out, shrugging to Xavion. "But, yeah. I had to evacuate my house, so it is a pretty big deal."

I nodded my agreement.

"Fine." Christopher rolled his eyes. "Give me your number and I'll let you know if I hear anything else."

Xavion scowled. "Okay, but don't ever call me. Text. If you call me, I will block you."

"I'm not a psychopath." Christopher snorted. "Of course I'll just text."

.................................................

After we were done with Christopher, we subtly left the church and returned to our cheap motel room. Xavion draped an arm around my shoulder as we settled in our bed and I found myself leaning into it.

Grant seemed to notice and raised a bushy eyebrow at us. "Alright, I've been desperately trying to ignore this, but I just can't anymore. What's up with you two?"

"Nothing!" I exclaimed, pulling away from Xavion. At the same time as my exclamation, Xavion's shoulders shrugged as he said. "We're fucking."

We both gaped at each other.

"W-We aren't fornicating." I said, mortified.

He frowned down at me. "Well, we aren't nothing." His eyes flashed with something before narrowing. "Wait-- Ishy, do you think we're nothing?" I was surprised to find the hurt carefully being hidden behind his expression.