Chapter Eight

CHAPTER EIGHT- Renee Meets Xav

"You gave her a key?!" Xavion yelled, pointing to Renee with a look of disbelief. "You didn't even ask me!"

Grant shook his head, "Absolutely not. She just likes breaking herself in."

Renee stopped in her tracks, looking at Xav with wide eyes. "Oh, hey. You must be Grant's roommate." She greeted awkwardly, "I'm Renee."

"Xav." He responded in a deadpan, munching down on his tenth cookie. He narrowed his eyes at her.

She smiled, "Uh... nice to meet you, Xav."

"Sure," Xavion muttered, not really looking like he meant it.
Renee looked like she wanted to continue some sort of conversation, "Uh, how long have you two been living together?"

Grant sighed, "Oh, about a year. It's crazy how long you can live with someone and not really know much about them." He said it in more of an amused way, but threw a subtle glare at Xavion with the statement.

Renee nodded, as though she also had a demon roommate she just found out about. "Tell me about it." The conversation lulled as Xavion and Renee both looked at each other with awkwardness. "Well, I see you met Ishy."

Xavion did not react. His eyes slid over to me before he looked back to her. He hummed a note of confirmation as a response before snatching the last cookie from the sheet and shoving it in his mouth. The conversation dwindled into nothing. I leaned against the counter a bit, trying to act less awkward than I was.

Grant coughed, trying to ease the uncomfortableness coating the room. "So, yeah. Renee is the girl I went on a date with, we're both sharing... well, sorta "custody" of Ishmael."

"Ah, well... you needn't worry about that anymore. I'll own him for you." Xav said around the cookie in his mouth.

Grant frowned, "There will be no owning of anyone."

Xav only shrugged in an 'agree-to-disagree' manner.

Then Renee decided to finally join back into the conversation. She moved further into the kitchen and leaned against the counter with me. Her eyes slid between Grant, Xavion, and me. "So... does he... know?" She asked meaningfully, jerking her head Xavion while gesturing to me.

Xavion smirked, swallowing the cookie. "I know many things, honey. Maybe I could show you a few?" He winked suggestively, raking his eyes over her form.

Renee immediately scowled. She straightened up and crossed her arms over her chest, in a protective manner. She sharpened her gaze, "No thanks." She looked to Grant, "So? Does he?"

Grant paused for a breath, contemplating an answer. He ranked his hands through his curly hair and shrugged, "Yeah, Ishmael is bad at secrets."

"Am not." I crossed my arms, feeling mildly offended.

Xavion chuckled, "Are too." He went to pick up another cookie, but frowned as his hand hit the empty sheet. He threw the empty cookie sheet in the sink.

Renee followed Xavion's every movement with her eyes. "So..." she trailed cautiously, "What do you think?" She asked, somewhat nervous and somewhat hopeful.

"Huh? 'Bout the angel?" He shrugged, "He can use some fixing-up."

Renee's eyes lit up, "Exactly! That's why I wanted to take him to my father! I think, with the right guidance, he can ascend again."

"Nah." Xavion shrugged, "God's a dick, he has absolutely zero chance of that. I'm gonna teach him how to sin with style. Right, Ishy-poo?"

I scowled at the nickname, "Ishmael."