Chapter Twenty-Nine

CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE~ Homeless Actors

I woke up the next morning with Xavion's arms wrapped around my waist and my face pressed into the cigarette-scented pillows.

It was still dark and I could hear Grant snoring from his bed. With the realization that I had just woken up early, I groggily turned my face to breathe better. I found myself face-to-face with Xavion. As the fogginess of sleep left me, I felt a stab of embarrassment as I remembered everything that happened yesterday. But, oddly, I also felt a happy flutter in my chest that overpowered the embarrassment. I slowly wrapped my arm around his waist as well, trying not to wake him up as I burrowed my face into his chest. Cologne and spice. Much better than the pillows.

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Grant's jarring alarm was quick to ruin the moment. I could tell he woke up because his snort cut off in a gasp as he jolted up and made an array of cluttering noise as he scrambled to find his phone to shut it off.

Grant was good at ruining moments lately. When he came back to the room last night, Xavion and I had to pull away from each other and act like nothing had happened. He had chided us for going behind his back and kidnapping a child, and declared that he was taking a break from work to 'babysit' us.

"Wake up." I heard Grant groggily command. "We've got a mom to lie to today."

I groaned, turning my face away from Xavion's pecs talk to Grant. "You do it."

"I didn't kidnap a child yesterday, causing the deal in the first place." He argued. "The only reason I'm going with you two to fix your mistake is because nothing good comes from the two of you being alone."

Xavion chuckled, surprising me. I didn't think he was awake. "A lot of great things 'come' when we're alone." His voice implied an innuendo that I couldn't quite place.

Grant grunted in disgust, which confirmed my suspicions. "Ew. Xav, don't make me start making you put money into a horny jar." It sounded like Grant got up from his bed from the sound of him moving around. "Get up."

"Can't we get up later?" Xavion groaned. "I mean, the kid's gotta tell us what the church says, right? And the meeting for that is today. So, we can't really do anything about it yet."

The light flashed on, making me recoil and pull away from Xavion. His hands fell limply from where they were around my waist, and I saw Grant's eyes follow them with an odd expression. He snapped his gaze back up to my eyes quickly before averting them to Xavion's half-asleep form. "We are meeting Chris, and his mother, as they leave the church. We will somehow convince his mother that acting is bad and--hopefully--it will be convincing. If it works, Chris says he'll find a way to distract her and tell us the church's next plan."

"Sounds complicated." Xavion sighed, turning his face into the pillow. "You two have fun with that. You mind shutting the light off?"

I rolled my eyes and smacked him in the face with my pillow. "Get up, this is all your fault."

He muttered, his words obscure from the way his face was mashed into the pillow. He swung himself out of bed clumsily and walked into the bathroom. Hopefully, he was getting ready.

I stood up and dug around the pile of clothes I had stacked up next to the bed, listening as Grant turned and started getting ready.

After all three of us had a change in the bathroom and got changed into better clothes, we were ready to hit the road. As always, Xavion shrugged his signature leather jacket on as we exited. Keeping our heads ducked, we made our way out of the motel and started towards the church.