Chapter Twenty-Eight

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT- Alone with a Demon

"Well, I hope you don't mind that your 'ride' is gonna be more like a 'brisk walk'." Grant corrected.

The kid scowled and crossed his arms. "What? None of you losers have a car?"

"Hey." Xavion glared. "I'll have you know that I have a car. It's just not exactly what I'd call 'accessible' at the moment. Unfortunately, it's probably under the watch of a very annoying, and very violent, angel."

The kid scowled, "This is bullshit. You're kidnapping me and making me walk?"

Xavion rolled his eyes and started towards the door. "Just shut up and follow me."

"Woah!" Grant cut in, flailing his arms out. "Every time you go out, some dumb shit happens. Stay here, I'll take the kid where he's gotta go."

Xavion scoffed. "Oh, come on!"

"Ishmael," Grant addressed me, "I also don't trust you to go out. The both of you are now under house arrest."

Xavion and I both protested, but Grant held out his hand. "I don't want to hear your excuses. In the last week, we've nearly been murdered, a house has burnt down, and you've kidnapped a child. I'm leaving-- for an hour or two at most. When I get back, I swear to God, you both better be in here with happy, go-lucky grins and warm welcomes. If anything--and I mean anything--is out of the ordinary. Or, worse, if you're not in here, I will lose my shit. Is that clear?"

"Yeah." Xavion grumbled, glaring at his foot.

I pouted. "What'd I do?" I protested, pointing to Xavion. "He's done everything, I just follow along."

"Exactly! You don't stop him." Grant crossed his arms. "Next time he suggests anything wildly insane, don't tag along. Explain why it's a dumb idea."

Christopher started walking to the door. "Can't we get going? I want to get home so I can write down a song based on this weird experience."

"A song?" I questioned, raising an eyebrow at the kid.

He shrugged and launched into a song unprompted. "Ooooh, I got kidnapped by a demon from church. He was mean and he yelled and he killed and he cursed. He tied to me a chair of woooood and ooooh from the fire of Hell he stoooood. The angel across from him was just as bad. He watched and he waited and shrugged with a laughhhh." He shrugged. "I dunno. All I know is that there's definitely song potential here."

"That was a bad song." Xavion said.

"The demonnnn was uglyyy and honestly dumb. He kidnapped a child a wenttt on the runnn. His teeth are yellow and his heart was blackk. And he carried all his belongings on his baaaack. All he owned was some rope and a gun, and he's uglyyyyy. So uglyyyyyyy."

"Am not." Xavion growled. "And my teeth are white." He added on, matter of factly.

"The demon from Hell lusted for ass. The ass of the angeeeel he wanted so baaaad. I watched from the distanceeee with hate in my gaze as he watcheddd the angel he wanted to layyyyyyy~~~~"

"Would you let that go?" Xavion scoffed.

I nodded, feeling more embarrassment. "You're really looking into it too much."

"Puh-lease!" The kid scoffed. He looked at Grant. "Have you noticed how much these two ogle each other?"

Grant looked caught on the spot. He almost looked upset as he flickered his eyes between us. "Uh-- no?"

"You're blind." Christopher deadpanned.

Grant frowned and flickered his eyes between us a few more times, looking thoughtful.