Chapter One

CHAPTER ONE- Meeting Humanity

I looked at the two humans before me, both amazed and horrified. I'd never seen God's creations so close-up before. I shifted a little, about to stand. However, a horrible sensation ripped through me.

Holy saints above... that hurt.

My back felt as though it had been roasted over a fire-- or, at least, what I'd imagine being roasted would feel like. As I sat up, I felt oddly light. A giant weight had been removed from me, so I felt off-balance and unsettled. 

I gave the couple of humans another glance, awkwardly trying to stand on my feet. Staying on balance was difficult, it felt like there was a great force pushing against me on all sides. Even breathing was weird, the air tasted dirty and tainted against my tongue. I was used to Heaven's sweet and light air, not this thick and musty stuff. Not to mention the liquid dripping out of the sky. I was covered in the water, feeling like I just took a bath with my clothes on. Speaking of, I disliked the blue fabric clinging to my legs. It felt oddly scratchy and hugged in all the wrong places. Meanwhile, my chest and back were covered by a bright white shirt.

I missed Heaven already.

The human woman looked at me with apprehension, "Well, Ich-male," I grimaced as she butchered my name, "How long have you been here?" She asked shrilly, "Why are you here?"

Angels didn't have a concept of time, at least not like humans. Existence was infinite, time was irrelevant. Luckily, I had learned a bit about God's creations and knew the basics of how they measured such a thing. I shrugged, "A few seconds." the second question brought a frown to my face, "I'm here because... uh.... someone made a mistake."

The woman's eyebrows pinched in, "Wha--"

"Stop questioning the poor guy," The man cut in, resting a hand on her shoulder, "He might have gotten hit in the head or something." His attention went back to me, who had certainly not been hit on the head, "Here, I'll come down and help you."

The man immediately crouched and began to slowly descend into the hole with me. As he sacrificed his comfort and time to help me, I watched with fascination as his soul tinted lighter. The crater was relatively small, so he was easily able to slide in.

I was finally able to get a hold of standing, finding that I needed to adjust my balance to meet my new wing-less life. I was glad that the fall hadn't further damaged me.

The man grew closer to me, enough to reach out and touch me. I fought to not jerk back as he approached. A bright flash of lightning broke through the sky, lightening the man's features. His skin was dark brown, blending in with the sky's darkness. He was quite tall, easily a head above my average height. He also held a great deal of unruly facial hair, which perfectly framed his square jaw.

The man seemed to be assessing me just as thoughtfully. I watched as his head tilted in the darkness, "Your ears are really pointy."

My hand jerked up to my ear as if to assess his statement. I quickly looked at his ears, finding a smooth curve. I scoffed, "Yours are just too roundy."

The man laughed wholeheartedly, "I suppose you're right." He held out a hand to me, "I'm Grant."

I stared down at his hand, wondering why he was holding it in the air like that. The longer he kept it there, the more uncomfortable the air grew. I sent him an uneasy grin, "Nice to meet you, Grant."

The man looked embarrassed as he slowly lowered his hand. He coughed awkwardly, "So... you're not hurt at all? Need help getting out of this crater?" He asked, avoiding eye contact.