Chapter Ten

CHAPTER TEN- 0 to 100 Real Quick

I slowly ate another bite of the pile of green on my plate. It was bland in comparison to most other foods, but I didn't mind. Chewing gave me a bit of distraction from the awkwardness coating the room.

Xavion was relaxed in his chair, amusement in his eyes as they flickered from person to person. Grant hadn't said much, also eating his food slowly.

Renee and John were tensely sitting across from each other, not uttering a word. Renee was aggressively chewing her lunch, glaring sharply at her father. John kept glancing at Xavion, before his eyes would flicker to me with interest. The air was thick with unease, making me shift a little in my seat.

Finally, Xavion grinned. "As delicious as this meal is, I think we have some elephants to address, right?"

I frowned, looking around for said elephants. Unsurprisingly, there weren't any.

John set his fork down and gave his daughter a stern look, "Renee, you have to know that I love you very much. I would have never hidden this from you, but I knew you would take it the wrong way. And I was scared-- I'm a man, darling. I fear--"

"Not that elephant." Xavion rolled his eyes, "You two can sort out that shit on your own time."

"Right." John sighed. "The supposed angel you have my daughter believing in."

Renee tensed up and glared at her father. "Ishy is a real angel. You of all people should know that I'd never lie to you about something like that."

"Lie? No, honey. But, being tricked into believing it yourself?" He shook his head. "I just have your best interests in mind here."

Renee scowled, "Well, I just have Ishy's best interests in mind." She sent Xavion a deadly look. "I'm not so sure that Ishy is safe around you. You've obviously proven to be a horrible influence. Right, Grant?" She turned to Grant, waiting for him to back her up.

Grant frowned. "Don't drag me into this."

Renee looked mildly offended. Her eyes sharpened into a glare, "Grant. Think of Ishy." She gestured to me. "What do you think will happen under the influence of a drug lord?"

"I'm not a drug lord." Xavion scoffed, "Though, that does sound cool."

"Drugs are not 'cool'." John scolded.

Renee rolled her eyes, "Hypocrite."

John sighed, "I don't think they're cool... or do them. They are just excellent ways to make money quickly. And I am only going down this path so you don't have to, honey." He explained, sounding more like he was begging her to understand.

"Heeeeeey, what did I just say about your family drama?" Xavion cut in before Renee could respond. "Not at the dinner table. Can't we just talk about this angel stuff and bounce?"

John's back tensed as he gave Xavion a death glare. "There's no way my daughter found a real angel. This is probably just another of your sick tricks, Xavion. I don't know what heinous, devilish things you're planning, but I hope for your sake that you have no intentions of harming my daughter in the process."

"Relax," Xavion said with a sweet grin. "She found the angel herself. Though, I can't say I'm complaining about the situation."

I felt a moment of realization, looking at John thoughtfully. "Did Xavion also make a deal with you?" I asked with wide eyes.

Xavion scowled at me.

John's shoulders tensed up as he gave me a skeptical look-over. "No. I'm not that much of an idiot. Frankly, I am worried for anyone idiotic enough to do anything of the sort." He suddenly blinked, squinting at me. "Also?"