Chapter Seventeen

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN- New Phone, Who Dis

"I think Renee gave her church my contact info because they have all been messaging me." Grant complained, crossing his arms. We were on our walk back to Xavion's vehicle and Grant had turned his phone off for good. "Some of them are even DMing me on my social media, all of them are pretty much harassing me with their damn petition."

I frowned. "DM-ing?"

"Don't worry 'bout that complicated language, Ishmael." Grant waved me off.

Xavion tilted his head in thought. "Have you tried blocking them?"

Grant shrugged. "Every time I block someone, a new person comes up. It started last night."

"Maybe you should change your phone number?" Xavion suggested before suddenly clapping me on the shoulder. "You should also get Ishmael a phone while you're at it."

Grant hummed. "Possibly. I'm worried it'll break his brain, though."

"My brain is too squishy to break." I scoffed. "If anything, it would... like... melt."

"Isn't melting something still breaking it?" Xavion questioned me.

I opened my mouth to object, but found that he was right.

Xavion carried on. "And, oh well. He hardly has a brain anyway. If he gets lost, or kidnapped by the crazy church, it'd be good to have a way to contact him."

"That's a good point." Grant sighed. "Alright, yeah. I'll take Ishmael to get a phone soon then."

My eyes widened. "One of those cool rectangles that light up?"

"Yeah, I'll teach you how to use it."

Xavion snorted. "Next, we can teach him how to drive."

"Please," Grant rolled his eyes, "he can't even use a seatbelt."

"Ishy!" Xavion grinned as we approached his car. "Wanna learn how to operate this fine vehicle?"

"Um... no."

He shrugged. "At least sit in front." He opened the door to the seat that Grant had been in before.

I crossed my arms and shook my head. "You want me to sit there? Where there's nothing but a single sheet of glass-- glass-- keeping me from flying outside?" I crinkled my nose at the thought. "Absolutely not."

Xavion rolled his eyes. "Stop being such a stick in the mud."

"If he doesn't want to, then he doesn't want to." Grant shrugged. "I have no qualms with taking shotgun."

I gave him a suspicious look. "Why do you need a gun?" I gulped. "Are cars that dangerous? I... I think I'll just walk, I don't like cars anyway."

"It's an expression! By Satan, just get in the car!" Xavion rolled his eyes. "You can sit in the back."

I scowled at the untrustworthy machine, but slid myself in the back. Grant came to help me with my 'seatbelt' again, but I was able to click it in before he had to help me.

Grant's eyebrow raised. "Wow, Ishmael. Good job." He pat my shoulder. "You make me proud."

My eyes widened at him.

I made him... proud?

Suddenly, I was filled with accomplishment. "Ha, Xavion!" I laughed at the dumb demon. "See? I'm not a stick in the mud, I'm actually smart as shit. Look at this-- third time operating one of these and I'm a pro."