Chapter Four

CHAPTER FOUR- Human Lessons

My second day waking up on Grant's couch was even more unpleasant than the first. As my eyes opened, I was greeted by the horrifying sight that was Grant's half-nakedness. He was obviously doing something, but I had no clue what it was. He was holding a large spoon and stirring around something in a pan-- I briefly pondered whether or not he was practicing witchcraft.

He was wearing another one of those overly-tight and short pants. They clung to absolutely everything and forced my eyes to shrivel into my skull. Even more horrifying-- they were a different color. He has multiple of these atrocities. I stared at them with disgust, "Why do you have so many of those?"

He jumped slightly, looking over at me with surprise, "Of what?"

I groggily pointed to the offending fabric and propped myself up, "That."

He frowned and followed my finger. His eyes locked on the tight pants, "My underwear?" He questioned, "Dude. Are you not wearing underwear right now?"

"Does it look like I'm wearing 'underwear'?" I scoffed, sarcastically pointing to the jeans I had been wearing for my stay here.

Grant looked frustrated, "You're not supposed to see if someone's wearing underwear." He attempted at a horrible explanation.

I gestured widely to him, "Then why can I see it?!"

"Because I am in the comfort of my own home." He said carefully, "I think you don't understand how generous it is that I'm letting you stay here."

I gave him a dull expression and dragged myself out of the couch. I peered at what he was doing, trying to figure it out while maintaining the conversation, "I thought you let me stay here because of your desire to fornicate with Renee."

He flashed me an annoyed look, but didn't say anything. At a closer look, the spoon was extremely flat. And, he was using it to scrape up some yellowish substance. A strange, yet pleasing, smell was coming from it.

"Speaking of..." I trailed off, "Is Renee not here today?"

Grant shook his head as he worked, "She had to go to work today. It's just you and me." He laughed.

I blinked at him, "Work? Isn't that an action?" I questioned, perplexed, "How can you move to it? I had to go to 'jump' today."

"Her job," Grant reiterated, "How she makes money."

"Money?"

Grant groaned, "Just go back to sleep, please. It was much more peaceful when you were unconscious."

A deep frown creased my face, "I just want to learn. Aren't you supposed to be teaching me?"

Grant looked about ready to slam his face down into the yellow mess he was scrambling. The more he did it, the more the liquid clumped together into a solid. He took a deep breath and nodded, "Fine. I'll teach you after breakfast." He suddenly looked panicked, "Wait-- did Renee or I feed you yesterday... at all?"

I shrugged, "No. But I fed myself." I raised an eyebrow, "It would be insanely weird if you ate for me."

"What did you eat?" He asked, looking concerned.

"Same old. A little 'amen' here and a bit 'love thine neighbor' there." I explained loosely. "Though, can't say it filled me much." I squinted down at my soul, finding it white-as-day. All the prayer must have counteracted my sinful activities over the last few days. A scowl fell over my face at the perfection. I shrugged, "Maybe it's because it focused more on purifying my soul than filling me?"