Chapter Nine

CHAPTER NINE- Fatherly Father

I had been in the car a few times and it never failed to terrify me. I couldn't even begin to understand how Renee controlled it. Every time we got close to another vehicle, I'd hold my breath until we were a safe distance away.

It was absolute chaos on the road. The rules seemed arbitrary and complex. The way the car just listened to what she told it to do was also impossible to comprehend. It felt as though it had a mind of its own, wanting to veer off the road.

Grant and Xavion didn't share my feelings as they both casually conversed. Even as we sped uncontrollably to our inevitable deaths, they spoke of trivial matters: whether or not God was a "simp" or a "pimp", who would survive longer in a zombie apocalypse, and how to properly pronounce "carmel." I ended up tuning them out, watching as the world blurred by us.

"Dude! Car-mel. That's it! Less on the mouth!" Grant yelled, twisted around to face Xavion.

"Car-a-mel." Xav shrugged, easing into the back of his seat.

Grant scoffed, "I've never heard you pronounce it that way. Are you just playing devil's advocate?" He accused, narrowing his eyes.

I bit my lip, rubbing my arms

"Abso-fucking-lutley not. The devil's advocate is such a chad and I do not vibe with that energy."

Renee hummed from the driver's seat, "I'd imagine that the devil's advocate would be more of the business type."

Xav scoffed, "You and what evidence? Trust me, he's a Chad."

"And why can't it be a woman?" Renee clipped, turning around to glare at him.

The road, Renee. The road. My mind screamed as she continued to drive forward. She looked back to the front but would glance back at Xavion through the rear-view mirror every few moments.

Xavion shrugged, "Ask the devil, it's his advocate."

"We don't know who or what the devil's advocate really is, neither of us knows them. I'm asking why you had to assume it would be a man." She glared, "You haven't met them."

Xavion looked ready to argue, but only rolled his eyes. Apparently, keeping his demon-side on the down-low was more important than winning this argument. He shrugged, "I still think it's car-a-mel."

Grant groaned, "You're just wrong."

Xavion shrugged, "Well, that doesn't make you right."

"It does." Grant glowered.

"Does not."

"Does--"

"Not!"

"I will literally turn this car around and abandon you, Xav. We don't need you meeting my father in the first place." Renee glared through the mirror.

Xavion gasped, "Oh, come on! Grant started it!"

"I did not! You did." Grant scoffed.

"You started it when you said God was a simp." Xavion rolled his eyes, "When, in fact, he's definitely a pimp."

Grant scowled, "You're the one who asked whether God was a pimp or a simp."

"I was asking Ishy-Mishy!"

"You think Ishmael knows what a pimp or a simp is?" Grant scoffed. "Ishmael didn't know what cookies were until this morning."

Before the conversation could spur into what God was again, Renee turned into a bumpy driveway and the conversation took a complete 180.