Chapter Twenty-One

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE- Mistakes Were Made

"I-I literally said no sweets," Jessica said, wide-eyed as I carried in the bags of food.

I shrugged. "I told her to stay clear of the cupcakes."

Granny Gert rolled her eyes. "Piss off, whore. Most of these are for him. Did ya know that he's never had a cupcake before? Poor kid."

"You've never had a cupcake?" Jessica frowned at me. "Really?"

"Or donuts!Or brownies, peanut butter, cake, ranch, or frosting." Granny Gert scoffed. "The only shit worth eatin' this little stick has had are cookies and ice cream." She popped open a new box of cigarettes and pulled one out. She set one end on fire and sucked from the other end. She blew the smoke in Jessica's face. "The poor thing must have grown up under a rock. Or with abusive parents."

I frowned. "I wouldn't say my parent was abusive."

"Eh." She shrugged. "Everyone's got their own idea of abuse. I think growin' up without ever havin' a cupcake is some sort of neglect."

Jessica rolled her eyes as I set the bag down. She started to help me unload all of the food into the areas where they kept it. She scowled. "Granny, did you even get the milk we needed?"

"Wasn't room in the cart." She shrugged.

Jessica's jaw ticked. "What about eggs?"

"Eh."

Jessica's fist clenched. "Did you just bring back junk food?"

"Pretty much, yeah." Granny Gert shrugged. She turned her attention to me. "Ishmael, ya gotta try this shit. It's literally the best." She opened up one of the boxes and pulled out something. It had a pretty pink top and a light yellow, squarish bottom.

I took it from her lightly, jumping as it crumbled slightly under my fingertips. I held out my other hand to catch any other crumbs as they fell. I observed it. "What's this one?"

"A cupcake, of course." She pulled another one out of the box. This one was brown with a yellow top. She licked the top of it and gave me a side look. "Well, Ishmael. Are ya gonna eat it or stare at me all day?"

I tentatively licked mine as I had just seen her do with hers. The sweet flavor hit my tongue and my eyes widened. I grinned. "Wow!"

Granny Gert nodded. "Wow is fuckin' right."

Jessica started grabbing the keys from the counter, grabbing her money off the table, and moving to the front door. Granny Gert watched her with a raised eyebrow. "Where are ya headed, missy?"

Jessica turned and gave her grandmother a dull look. "Shopping. Because you managed to get everything except what was on the shopping list."

Granny Gert shrugged. "You do you."

Jessica left, slamming the door behind her. From the way her soul had darkened, she was upset. I suddenly felt a little guilty. I mean, I had been assigned the role of making sure Granny Gert stayed on track while shopping.

Before I could feel bad for too long, Granny gave me a mischievous look. "Ya know what we should do, Ishmael?"

I took a bite of the delicious treat, tilting my head at the smirk she was sending me. "What?"

....................................

"Oh my fucking fuck." Xavion's jaw dropped. "What the hell did I miss?"

I looked at him, wide-eyed. Granny Gert and I were both on the floor, surrounded by wrappers. A bottle of what Granny had called 'alcohol' was tipped over in the corner.