Chapter Thirty-Two

CHAPTER THIRTY-TWO- 100-1000 Real Quick

Warning: Violence and what I'd consider disturbing imagery

"I didn't want to!" Chris quickly yelled from behind us. I was too shocked to say anything in response. "Guys-- my mom found out. She-- one of the church people recognized you and came up to her and... I... She told me she was gonna send me to this weird boarding school if I didn't help. And-- well-- I'd get to do my band." He was sounding increasingly more nervous, stumbling through his explanation. "I didn't want to, I swear! I-- it was my mom and-- uh-- I had to!"

"Just a few minutes ago." I cut in slowly. "How-- you were-- with the band, you were acting so normal." I couldn't wrap my head around it. How could he look so relaxed and happy when all of this was happening behind that smile?

"Well-- uh, all those acting classes, ya know?" Chris nervously ran his hand through his hair. "I would never sell you out. My mother knew everything. She, well, she told me to get you here somehow. And I did."

The betrayal felt sharper than I was expecting. Xavion must have seen the pain on my face, because he grabbed my hand and squeezed it, as if trying to push some of his strength into me.

Meanwhile, the angel was slowly approaching from the edge of the garage. "It's the nature of demons, Fallen 4392. To lie and deceive. And, humans influenced by them are quick to do the same. The fact that you're surprised by this outcome is the real shock."

"We're doing this to help you, Ishy. I swear. That demon is dangerous." Another voice urged. I'd been too focused on the angel. I swiveled my attention to the far left, where Renee was peeking into the garage. Her father was behind her, tapping his foot and chewing his lip in impatience.

"Fuck off." I shook my head, taking a step in front of Xavion to protect him from their judgment.

The angel physically winced. I saw his nostrils flare as my soul darkened slightly. He was staring at it with razor-sharp focus. Or, perhaps he was glaring at how I moved to protect Xavion. "This situation is tricky. They are all too far past the point of saving."

A sob sounded from behind us. I jumped and whirled around. Behind Chris was a woman, standing in a doorway that led into the rest of the house. I recognized her immediately as Chris's mother. She was crying, holding a hand to her heart.

The angel kept talking. "Unfortunately, the demon has been feeding off of this man for what looks like years." He cocked his head towards Grant.

"Feeding?" Xavion asked, incredulous. "Even if I did 'feed' off of humans, I would not choose Grant, he's gross."

"The child, Christopher," the angel's face turned soft. "He is an impressionable youth. There may be hope for him yet."

Chris winced. "Look, I get why you're all so worried about him. But-- I mean, I've spent some time with him. With all of these guys." He gestured to us. "They're not as evil as you're making them out to be."

The angel scowled. "Christopher, you do not know of what you speak. The demon has tricked you-- all of you. But, you are far too blinded by his charm to see it."

"Christopher! Come here, get away from that thing-- you've had to be around it for far too long." Chris's mother gestured wildly at her son, trying to coax him into the house.

Chris winced and took a step towards her.

I couldn't distinguish why, but I felt a sharp rage in my chest. "Why introduce us to your band? Why play a few songs for us? Why the Hell didn't they just attack us when we first showed up? What was the point of that?"