Chapter Seven

CHAPTER SEVEN- Ishmael Overuses the Word "Daddy" for Too Many Paragraphs

I had never heard anything like a squeal come out of Grant's mouth. The high-pitched, disbelieving tone he took was foreign to my ears. By Daddy's raised eyebrow, I could tell he was thinking the same.

    By his reaction, I could assume he didn't know that Daddy was a demon. I glanced up at Daddy, assessing his horribly-pale skin and dark expression. Some of his veins were showing through the skin, revealing dark red and black shades-- they were faint, but definitely noticeable. I turned back to Grant, "How did you not know?"

    Grant gave me a dead-panned look before glaring at Daddy, "Why didn't you mention that before I moved in with you?"

    Daddy hissed through his teeth, wincing back at the question, "I reeeally needed a roommate." Then a frown overtook his face. He crossed his arms, "Hey, wait! You have no right to complain-- you let a feather-goggler live here without asking. Then you tried to lie about it."

    Grant's eyes rolled, "Okay, yeah. But angels are, like, known for being good and virtuous. Demons suck out souls, defile virgins, sacrifices goats--"

    "--this is blatant racism." Daddy scoffed.

    "But is it wrong?" I cut in, shrugging a bit, "I mean... I haven't known you that long, but you've already sorta tricked me into a deal."

    Daddy rolled his eyes, "Yeah, yeah. I know I fit the stereotype. Doesn't mean every demon does."

    "What deal?" Grant rewinded the conversation slightly, a frown on his face.

    I pouted and showed him my palm, which still had the gold symbol shimmering on it. I sighed, "Daddy tricked me."

    Grant scowled, "Ew. Please stop calling him that."

    I felt a certain smugness overcome me, "You're just jealous that he lets me call him Daddy, but you have to call him Xav." I mocked, setting my hands on my lips.

Grant's head shook, "Absolutely not. Trust me, you don't want to call him that."

"Why not?" Daddy scoffed, throwing a hand over my shoulder and drawing me into his side, "We're both consenting adults. Are you kink-shaming us, Grant?"

Grant's eyes dulled as he started looking ready to give up. He gave me a dry look, "Ishmael. The word "daddy" is very sexualized. In other words-- fornication-time word. If you want to refer to Xav as your father, please say 'father', 'dad', or even 'parental figure'. If I hear another 'daddy' or-- God-fucking-forbid- 'papi', you will be sleeping in the hallway."   

    I frowned and glared at Daddy, "Is that true?"

    Daddy-- or Xavion-- broke into a fit of laughter. He let his arm drop off my shoulder to hold up his weight as he leaned over, trying to contain his amusement. "Your face!" He chuckled some more.

    A deep scowl crossed my face, "But... why would people ever refer to someone as their father while fornicating?"

    Xavion, who had finally gotten ahold of his laughter, broke into another bout of chuckles.

    Grant shook his head, "You're not ready for that human lesson."

    Xavion finally straightened up and patted me on the back, his grin showed that he was still seconds away from laughing, "Don't worry, angel, I can teach you all about that during your demon lesson."

    "You still haven't explained why you're a demon!" Grant cut in, "Dude, I feel like this is something we need to discuss."

    Xavion rolled his eyes, "What's there to discuss? I lied to you, you lied to me. We can put that all behind us now to raise our adoptive fallen angel properly." He recommended, setting his hands on my shoulders.