Chapter Twenty-Six

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX- Kidnapping a Child

My eyes widened as the kid gazed up at both of us in shock and confusion.

Behind us, I could make out the sound of the priest closing up. I tugged Xavion's shirt, looking down at the boy with worry. "We gotta get out of here. People will be flooding this place soon." I kept my voice low. "Leave the kid."

Xavion looked at me with wide eyes. "We can't just let him go out there and rat us out!" He whisper-hissed. "He knows too much!"

"Well-- he can't just wait in here until they come and get us!"

"But the kid's gonna tell them everything and they'll be chasing us out regardless. And then they'll figure out where we live and Grant'll be pissed as fuck."

I glowered. "Oh. So now you care what Grant thinks?"

"Of course not." He growled lowly. "But I also don't want to admit that he was right about coming here being a bad idea."

I fought an eye-roll and looked down at the boy, who finally seemed to catch up a bit with Xavion's hostility and started trying to pry his hand off of his mouth. In the church, people were standing and getting ready to exit.

In a moment of horrible decision-making, I grabbed Xavion's hand and just started dragging him out of the church entryway with me. And, of course, Xavion decided to drag the kid with him.

"Put the kid down!" I hissed as Xavion swept the boy off his feet, keeping his hand over his mouth the whole time. The kid made a muffled scream of protest.

Before I could reason with him more, I could hear church-goers getting closer to the exit. They chatted as they went along.

Fuck it. I'll convince Xavion to return the kid later.

Xavion and I took off around the building, avoiding the streets and we ran to the shady part of town-- where our shady-ass motel was. What a place for our kidnapped child.

Speaking of, he was thrashing in Xavion's arms. From the annoyed grunts Xavion let out, it seemed like the kid was trying to chew his hand off. Honestly, Xavion deserved it.

The kid was wiggling, trying to elbow Xavion in his ribs. When he finally landed a blow to Xavion's neck, Xavion growled. "You're fucking lucky I'm not making you run, kid!" He huffed out, breathing heavy from the activity. "You're heavy as shit."

The kid sounded like he grumbled something sarcastically through Xavion's hand. When I glanced back at his face, he was rolling his eyes and trying to wedge Xavion's hand away from his mouth. He made eye-contact with me and narrowed his eyes into a deadly glare.

I held my hands up in surrender, breathing heavily from the running. "Don't glare at me. I didn't want to kidnap you. If anyone here is inconvenienced, it's me."

The kid's eyes narrowed further. He stopped struggling slightly to send me a "seriously?" look.

Once there was officially a painful cramp in my side, we finally came upon the motel and ran inside. I found, annoyingly, that Xavion and I always seemed to run back into our living spaces in weird situations. This one's got to be the weirdest by far, though.

Xavion walked in and sat himself on our bed, trying to keep the struggling child from escaping.

"Get me that chair." He grunted, nodding to the chair at the desk.

I looked from the chair to him before giving him a dull stare. "I'm not going to aid you in this kidnapping."

"Come on!"