Chapter Twenty

CHAPTER TWENTY- Shopping with Granny

A ray of sunshine cut into my sleep. I felt the fogginess of morning brain as I slowly opened my eyes and frowned at my surroundings.

I could feel the air mattress under me, but it dipped down near my butt and if I shifted too much, I could feel the floor. The mattress must have lost air over the night, because Xavion and I were pressed together in the middle of a pit. It was also weird because his arms were around me.

I wasn't really sure why. It was like a hug, but in his sleep. I knew angels loved to hug all the time, but demons? And in their sleep? When I tried to pull myself away, he grabbed me harder and snored in my ear.

I poked his side, but he didn't stir. I tried to wedge myself out, but Xavion grumbled and held onto me tighter. The struggle ensued.

"I didn't know y'all were gay."

I jumped slightly and looked over, wide-eyed as I met eyes with Jessica's grandmother. She was standing in the room we were all sharing, blowing out puffs of tainted air from her cigarette.

She smirked at me. "Oh, I got nothing wrong with it. Just didn't expect to see y'all cuddled up like that." She winked. "Keep up with what you're doing."

"Uh, we're not gay." I clarified, trying to wedge Xavion away.

Xavion mumbled a bit in his sleep. "Speak for yourself, I'm down to fuck anyone."

I jumped in surprise. "You were awake this whole time?"

"Nah, but your yapping really did the trick of waking me up." He sighed, snuggling into my chest.

I frowned. "Well, let me go then." I rolled my eyes and stabbed into his side with a finger.

He groaned and let go of me. "Grant's better at cuddling than you," he grumbled, "and he doesn't turn to abuse."

I propped myself up and looked over at Grant's bed, which was surprisingly empty. I raised an eyebrow at it. "Where's Grant?"

The grandma puffed out a large breath of smoke, shrugging. "That kid? Said something about going to some church."

I frowned. "Why in God's name would he do something like that?"

Xavion smacked my leg.

I rolled my eyes. "In Satan's name." I scowled at him. "That doesn't answer my question though.

"Why would I know?" Xavion grabbed his phone and looked at it. "Oh, Grant texted me."

After a moment, when he wasn't saying something, I rolled my eyes. "And?"

Xavion shrugged and sat himself up, "He said, 'went to church to see if they know anything about the angel, maybe this will convince them that angels are crazy and they'll back off' he read with a shrug."

Jessica's grandma grunted. "Your friend's schizophrenic?"

"Huh?" Xavion asked, looking up at the old lady.

She shrugged. "Ya know, with the angels and shit. My roommate at the mental institution in '72 was a schitzo. She knew how to get down, but she always went on rants about demons and shit." She waved her hand holding the cigarette. "Sounds like your friend, with the goin' to church because of angels."

Xavion frowned. "Why are you in our room?"

She scoffed. "What? Is a gal not allowed to watch her guests sleep in her own damn home?" She rolled her eyes as though that was a ridiculous idea. "I actually came in here to make sure y'all were still breathing. It's, like, 8 am and you're still asleep."