Chapter Thirty-Four

CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR- Breaking and Entering (technically)

Grant and I didn't realize we didn't have the key until we were outside the apartment door. We were stuck outside, with our bags uselessly piled at the door, hoping Xavion didn't get arrested so he could return with the key.

My mind kept drifting to Chris's final moments, seeing it in my mind's eye on repeat, brutally detailed. It was comforting to at least have Grant here with me. I felt nervous still, that God was going to find out about the dead angel and come after me.

Though, He probably already knew. And there was a chance that they would be coming after me soon. I needed a rest, or something to take my mind off of all this stress.

Grant probably needed the same, because he looked close to throwing something--or himself--out of a window.

He turned to me. "Wanna play a game?"

"Like what?"

He shrugged. "Rock, paper, scissors?"

"We don't have any of those on hand, though." I pointed out.

"N--" he sighed. "They're imaginary. Anyway, you pick one and I pick one."

"Pick what?"

"Rock, paper, or scissors."

"Oh." I nodded. "I pick scissors."

Grant rolled his eyes. "No, Ishmael. You don't tell me which one you picked."

"Oh, I'll change my answer then." I lied, allowing 'scissors' to engrave in my brain as my choice.

"Great." He nodded. "Now," he formed his hand into a fist, "this means rock." Next, he held his hand flat. "Paper." He closed all of his fingers, except for the pointer and middle. "Scissors."

I held out my hand, showing off my supposed 'scissors.'

Grant groaned. "Don't show me yet! And you told me you were changing your answer."

"I lied. And this game doesn't make any sense."

"It's usually used to determine who gets to go first, or get the front seat, or who gets the last slice of pizza. It's like drawing straws but you don't need straws."

I frowned. "Drawing straws?"

"The hell did you do in heaven?"

"Not much, obviously." I shrugged.

Grant tried to explain the rules to me, explaining that we reveal our answers at the same time. And, of course, how the winner was chosen.

By the time Xavion finally joined us again, Grant was winning 10-0.

I barely took notice of Xavion, too focused on scowling at Grant. "How do you keep winning? You're cheating."

"No." He rolled his eyes, his hand forming 'rock' again. "You just won't stop selecting scissors."

"Fine. I'll change it to paper and murder your dumb rock." I smirked. "One, two, three--" I put my hand in the 'paper' position, hoping to get his rock. But, alas, Grant had scissors.

"How?!"

"You literally announced what you were gonna do." Grant deadpanned.

Xavion looked between us. "Why are you both standing out here playing rock, paper, scissors?"

Grant shrugged. "I don't have a key. I was hoping you did."

Xavion blinked before letting go a tired sigh. "Fuck. I forgot we'd need our key."