Chapter Five

CHAPTER FIVE- Grant's Roommate

Out of all humanly activities, brushing my teeth was one of the oddest. I disliked the way the bristles rubbed against my gums as I scraped away this morning's breakfast.

Human food was also weird. In Heaven, there was no such thing as mixing tastes and trying new things. We got our nourishment spiritually, through the same old prayer and virtue.

I've discovered that bacon is 10000x better. However, with it came its own issues. After a few days of wandering around the house with onions on my breath, Grant forced a toothbrush into my mouth. He made me do all sorts of weird things-- shower, change my clothes manually, eat, and a ton of other odd stuff. It was all so mundane and pointless. In human time, I'd wager that about a week had gone by of this.

I spat the minty foam out of my mouth and rinsed it down the "sink." Sink was one of my newer vocab words.

Outside of the bathroom walls, I could hear Renee and Grant conversing with one another. I shut off the sink and padded out of the bathroom. As I grew closer to the kitchen, Grant and Renee's voices became more clear.

"Absolutely not," Grant groaned, "I don't want to. It might not be safe for Ishmael." At the mention of my name, I tensed up. I leaned against the wall, deciding not to interrupt their conversation when I entered the room. They had a tendency of waiting until I was gone before talking about me, which is another weird human thing.

Renee huffed, "You've been avoiding the topic for the whole week!" She sounded aggravated, "I just want you both to meet him before you decide."

"Well, I want to meet him before Ishmael does." Grant said tensely, "I just don't want Ishmael to be commercialized. He's is dumb and impressionable, it's easy to get him to believe anything you say-- he trusts too easy." I frowned, slightly offended. How was trust a bad thing? "It's dangerous and I don't want him in the hands of the wrong people. And, I'm sorry, but the Catholic Church is not the most reputable place in all of history. I'm scared that he'll be taken away, or experimented on, or seen as this God-like thing to be marveled at. Some miracle--"

"You're ranting, Grant." Renee's tight voice responded, "I understand your worries, I really do. But he isn't ours to keep locked up here."

Grant scoffed, "We aren't! He's just going to stay until he's ready for the world."

"And I think he's ready." Renee shrugged.

"And I think it's only been a week."

Renee huffed, "And I think he's a fast learner."

"Well... I still think he's not ready to meet your father." Grant said firmly. Suddenly, the entire conversation made sense. They were talking about taking me to the church again. She was oddly persistent that I should repent and be forgiven by God. But, that was difficult to accomplish when I did nothing wrong in the first place.

Thinking about being taken from my home and sent to an unfair trial made my heart ache. They had no evidence, other than the fact that no angel would lie about the purity of another. It didn't matter that my soul was spotless-- they believed me to be some sort of rotten sinner. It was bogus-- it was bullshit. And, most important, it was hurtful.

Sinning wasn't even half-bad, it's not like anyone was being hurt by my internal thoughts. Except, perhaps God-- but, really, what did God care? They set me free, so I was going to act freely.

Renee sounded frustrated, "How about you just meet him, then? You can officially Grant-approve him for Ishmael."

Grant didn't sound convinced, "I don't know... we can't tell him that I'm meeting him to make sure he won't hurt my angel friend. That defeats the purpose." I smiled slightly when he called me a friend, I was so used to his annoyed demeanor-- especially when he was trying to teach me anything.