Chapter 1

I often get lost when I look at the stars and think about the universe. We are nothing compared to it. I am alone but I don't feel lonely under these beautiful stars.

"Perfection is an illusion." it's difficult to believe that when I look at the stars. They are so beautiful. I treasure them.

My phone rings, jolting me out of my dreamscape. It's my brother. My dearest overprotective brother.

"Roselyn, how are you? Why haven't you called me? How did the interview go? Did you get the job?" He speaks in one breath as if he had been thinking about these words over and over.

"Ryan, breathe. I'm fine," I start, taking a sip of the water, "I totally forgot to call you, and yes, I did get the job," I finish, the stars leave my thoughts momentarily.

"I am glad," he says, "Finally grown up huh?" I roll my eyes.

"I became an adult years ago, Rayn," I reply, half annoyed. He won't let me feel like an adult but at the same time, he wants me to be one? What is the deal with that?

"When did I say you weren't?" he questions, casual. I'll never understand him.

"All right, here's the deal then: start treating me like an adult now. Don't worry about me," I tell, my hair blows in the wind. It's starting to get cold.

"I'll always worry about you, Roselyn Amour Evans. You are my responsibility." His voice sounds like our father's. I'm not his responsibility. Not anymore. I'm my responsibility.

After dad passed away 3 years ago in an accident, Ryan has been taking care of mom and me. I miss dad. Ryan tries to fill in the place of dad but I miss him a lot despite everything Ryan has done for me.

"Well, you shouldn't because I'm 22 and can take care of myself. Didn't I look after myself for the past four years of college?" I remind him since he seems to have forgotten that. College was difficult with a job to handle but I survived.

And from tomorrow I start my job.

What happened to the time? It seems like just yesterday that Ryan was dropping me off at college and giving me all sorts of advice to survive.

"I guess you're right. Even then, you will always be my little baby sister. I miss you," he says. I hope he wouldn't come here because of that. He still sees me as a kid. Things to deal with as a younger sibling.

I look at my watch. It is already ten o'clock. I suddenly realize how tired I am from all the decorating things.

"I miss you too," I murmur, trialing the railing of the balcony. "Listen, I'm tired. We'll talk again tomorrow. Tell Mom I miss her." I think about her. Mom is coping even right now.

"Goodnight and be safe."

"Always am, Ryan." Be safe from who, besides? It's not like I'm involved in anything to be saving my neck every second from someone.

I get out of my room's small balcony. The balcony was the only reason I wanted this apartment despite struggling to afford it on my own. But Ryan does send me money every month, still, I don't want to use it. All on my own from now onwards.

I quickly change into my pajamas and crash my head against the pillows.

I quickly drift into a dreamless sleep.

Before I know it, the alarm of my phone wakes me up. It's six in the morning, meaning, still, two hours left before work.

Deciding to take a walk, I change out of my pajamas and into my sweatpants and a t-shirt.