Chapter 42

The party is even more remarkable than I had anticipated. So many people are present, and they are all family, as Adriana stated, which astounded me. I knew it would be big because of all the decorations and the number of workers, but it still managed to surprise me. I've been to a few parties and clubs, but this is something else entirely. While I was working at Smiths Enterprises, there was an event to which I was invited even though I had only recently started. At the time, I thought there couldn't possibly be a grander event than that. It turns out I was mistaken.

I've met a lot of people, and each one of them has tried to talk to me in some way. They didn't just greet me and then leave. Adriana is the one walking with me; otherwise, I'd be on my own because he just stands there and looks. The other people chat as well, but I don't know them well. Meryl avoided the party due to feelings of sickness.

His family asks me why Arosio is not with me and every time I'm at a loss for words. I simply point at him with my eyes and say he has gone to take a drink.

The decoration of the entire floor has changed making it look like a party venue. Before I walked downstairs I had an odd feeling I might be overdressed but I was clearly wrong since everybody looks professionally dressed. I'm also wearing the necklace Pa had given me when we first met here which goes along with the dress beautifully.

I feel a presence beside me and it takes everything to stop myself from jumping feeling startled. Adriana had gone to check on Aria so, I was standing alone, only talking if someone came to me.

"Evening Roselyn." He says. How does he know my name? Not just him, everybody seems to know it, "I'm Raul."

"Evening Raul," I reply, politely. He has a warm friendly smile on his face. His eyes are also light brown colored.

"May I have this dance?" He raises his hand in the air, asking me to put mine in it. Straight-up dance? No talking?

"I don't-"

My excuse doesn't leave my mouth as he speaks, "Just one dance. Follow my lead."

Adriana isn't anywhere to be seen. Hesitantly I place my hand on his and walk beside him as we walk on the floor. The only man I have ever danced with is Arosio that night. I don't even know how to dance properly.

With his one hand on my back while the other one on my wrist that is on his chest we start to move. I feel glad since he is dancing slowly.

"I wish I had found you before Arosio did." He says the same thing that boy had said ten minutes ago and I start to wonder if they are pulling my leg.

"Maybe he was meant to find me sooner," I reply with the words Adriana had said to that boy.

He doesn't speak, looking at me, processing my word as if I spoke in another language.

"My bad," He says and grabs my right hand, twirling me before pulling me back to him, "But one can wish." He remarks. I don't know despite what he said he doesn't seem to have any twisted intention.

"Well, Mrs. Roselyn Romano, you do look stunning." He says causing me to release a smile, " And I know you're already claimed."

"Then why did you want to dance with me?" I ask frankly.

He chuckles lightly, "I wanted to check on something, initially" He leans down to my ear, "But now I'm glad I did since you're more than just beautiful."

"You're not that bad of a person as I might have expected," I tell, precise.

He laughs, "I'm glad Roselyn," He glances behind me and I feel a presence too.

"Arosio," Raul says but doesn't let me go, still moving our body to the soft music.

"Raul, may I cut in?" Arosio says. Dislike clear on his voice. Is this what Raul wanted to check. Arosio's jealousy?