Chapter23

I chew the mashed potatoes slowly as I focus my eyes solely on the plate loaded up with delicious foods. However, even though my eyes were fixed on the plate, my mind was somewhere else. More like someone else. Since I had told him not to touch or talk to me at all, I've been sitting beside Adriana every time we ate. And every day, his eyes would be on me, while I would try my hardest to not pass out from the intensity and......anger? he had in his eyes. Because of this reason, I never finish my meals. I'd take a few bites and then excuse myself by pushing the plate away.

Sometimes I've even gotten lucky when he wouldn't eat here, but history has shown that my luck has never been my best friend. Cynthia, the airport girl whose name I learned, is also on the table with Elena, and both of them make my blood boil the moment I see them. But I manage to keep my itching hands from striking their cheeks since they appear fitter and stronger than me. I don't want any bones to be broken.

I take another bite of the food and chew it slowly, trying hard not to cry due to how awkward I've grown since that night. But I'm not going to blame myself since I'm basically with strangers. Just a few days, I say to myself. But how many? The note had said this week. Which day of this week? I'm praying that someone didn't prank me. After I swallow the bite I raise my head slowly to excuse myself since I don't have an appetite for any more food since I make sure to eat something right before dinners like fruits and small snacks. I freeze when my eyes meet with his.

As I had thought he had been digging holes in me the entire time. Even now, he doesn't bother turning his head away. I move my hand whilst my eyes are still on him to grab the glass of water. I take a sip of cold water, and he just gazes at me with no attempt to look anywhere else. After I place the glass down on the table I look down at his plate to see his food hasn't been touched once. He has been staring at me without eating? I wipe my mouth with a napkin, and he stands abruptly with so much force that the whole table shakes making pin drop silence settled on the dining room. I act like a statue as he looks at me for a few more seconds before leaving with his fist clenched.

I look at Adriana, wanting to look at one person who doesn't hate me because the moment he left everybody's head turned to me and the look they were giving me wasn't a nice one. Adriana shrugs her shoulders and speaks, "Leave him. Focus on your food everyone." She turns to me and speaks so that only I can hear, "Like I already said I'm not angry with you. It was his fault in the first place. And, yes, seeing him in this light makes my heart clench, but I can't do anything about it right now. He needs to find something on his own." I give her a grateful smile and leave.

When I'm at the bottom of the stairs, someone grabs my hand as my back hits their chest, and they wrap their hands around my mouth. Who is he?

A voice I've never heard before speaks, "I'm going to remove my hand. Don't shout." I nod, afraid.

Before I can turn around his hands cover my eyes, "Stay still." Darkness encloses my vision as I do as he had said.

He puts something on my hand and makes my hand in a fist. It's a parchment.

"This is the second and last note you'll get. Tomorrow night is the night. Be ready. Don't let anyone be suspicious." His hand moves away from my eyes, and I blink several times to adjust my vision. When I turn around, there is no one there.

I tuck the paper into my pocket to ensure that no one sees me reading it unless I'm alone inside the room. To calm me, I rub my trembling hands together. . I just needed one surety that this would happen and I have it. It's going to work. I'm finally going to escape him. I can feel the adrenaline filling my veins. This is going to work out, I repeat in my head. It has to. I walk upstairs and enter my room making sure to lock the door.