Chapter 53

Time never felt so slow.

Waiting for Roselyn to wake up: that's all I've been doing for the past three days. She awoke twice but fell back asleep within the next second or minutes.

It's going to take her a few weeks to recover fully.

Liam told me that when he had reached the place, she was lying on the ground in a fully oblivious state. I was glad nobody touched her after she lost consciousness, but that didn't mean she was never hurt. She was beaten up.

I used to think I didn't regret bringing her into my life, but now I know that's a lie. Seeing her right now and in that condition that day made me wish I had never brought her into my life.

The wrong feeling I had can finally be put into words.

My love for her should never be greater than her happiness and health.

Since if my love leads her to this state today, what's the use of it?

Nothing.

My love is for her. But what would she do with it if it led her to pain?

Nothing at all.

Why would she ever accept my love for her? She shouldn't.

Selfishness is filled with my love. I always only thought about what I wanted and not about what was best for her, because if I had, I would have let her be free and she wouldn't have ever been in this condition.

I'm confident no harm would come to her or someone else from the family, here, but I cannot change what has been done. change what she went through. For fucks sake, her ribs and skull are broken. Those two are the major places where she is hurt, but she has scratches all over her skin. Parts of her face are swollen too. Band-aids are here and there on her skin.

I have enemies all over the place, so certainty about everyone being safe no matter where we are is something I don't have.

Elenora was the only person who had gotten hurt in our family other than Roselyn. Because Ma, Adriana, or someone else had never even come close to harm.

I can't even blame everything on Roselyn working because she was taken away from home.

From our home.

I'm the only one who deserves the blame.

I pick up my phone when I see Riley's name flash on the screen. What would I say to her? I had avoided her calls ever since Roselyn was brought back home because how could I tell her that, her daughter, who has never known any pain, is in bed because she can't even move? Roselyn, whose skin had never had a single scratch before knowing me, now, has cut all over her body. I took a look at the horizontal cut above her knee that she had gotten the previous time. The scar is still visible and will most likely remain so in the future, albeit in a fainter form. I re-covered her body.

"Riley."

"Arosio, why weren't you picking up your phone? And the same with Roselyn. Where is her phone? It's unreachable." The worry that's in her voice will multiply by numbers if she finds out the truth. I can't tell her that.

"I was busy Riley, and Roselyn had lost her phone." I lie. The part about Roselyn's phone is the truth. Her phone is nowhere to be found. Jax must have taken her phone before he took her to make sure she wouldn't get a chance to call me.

"Again. Why does she keep on losing her phone? She is so careless."

"She had gone shopping and must have lost it somewhere."

"I can't begin to tell you how I was feeling. Some bad feeling was lingering in my head and when I call, her phone is out of reach for three days straight and you don't seem to be picking your phone and neither does Arial. Are you home yet? I want to talk to her."