Chapter21

My eyes open feeling the burning sensation in my throat but they close immediately seeing a bright white light. Am I dead? Then why am I feeling thirsty? Opening my eyes I finally adjust my vision to the light and look up to see a white ceiling with light. Where am I? I stare up for a few seconds before my eyes move to land on his face.

Arosio.

When I see him, I feel a wave of relief wash over me because somewhere inside I know he will always keep me safe.

"Arosio," I say, but my voice sounds like it's breathing. I frown and try again to speak, but I can't even hear myself.

He gets to his feet "It's all right, my love. Don't say anything." His hand comes behind my back as he helps my body straighten up while adjusting the pillow and the bed such that I can lean back on it. He sits on the bed and takes my hand that feels like a limp. Squeezing my hand he gazes at me. I see some movement behind him and when I look I see Dorian standing there with the phone in his hand. He is looking at me as well. He smiles and then excuses himself.

My eyes move back to Aorsio to see his eyes haven't moved from me.

I try to speak, but the burning sensation persists. I open my mouth to ask for water, but he's already moving, pouring water into the glass and bringing it up to my lips. His other hand gently massages my neck. The water clears my throat, soothing my insides, and I feel content since I was feeling like I hadn't drunk water in years. I can't even imagine what that can feel like. One would most likely die before they can say what it feels like.

I lick my dry lips and speak after clearing my throat, "What happened?" My voice is still not as loud as it should be. I had gone out to dinner with him. After dinner, he asked me to dance, and then I was in the car. I remember throwing up after the wave of nausea had swept through my body. and then everything is dark.

His eyes hold something that I never saw and I can't fathom what it is. There are faint dark circles under his eyes. There are red lines in the sclera, did he not sleep? He swallows as he brings my hand up to his lip to kiss the inside of my palm.

"Our food was poisoned," he says as he closes his eyes, "I thought I would never see you again. The doctor had told me that you were alright and that nothing would happen to you, but you were just lying in this bed unconscious, so I couldn't believe any of those words. You were breathing but your skin wasn't flushed as it usually is. I couldn't even pretend you were sleeping because there was no warmth in your skin. How could I when I knew exactly how your body and face would look if you were sleeping?" He finishes frowning as to what he is seeing behind his closed eyelids.

His voice is shaky as if he is in pain. Listening to his voice stings my heart. He was worried for me, but it wasn't his fault. Food poisoning can happen to anyone.

I gently squeeze his hands and his eyes open, "It's ok. I'm alright. I don't even feel any pain or any discomfort on my insides. And food poisoning can happen to anyone so, it isn't a big deal."

He shakes his head. "No, it's a big deal. It wasn't normal food poisoning you get when you mix up some food. Someone intentionally poisoned the food, and seeing you in any kind of pain, doesn't matter whether it's because of a small paper cut or something big, either way, I don't want you to experience any of it." Intentionally? Why would someone poison my food?

"You can't always protect me from everything." It is true. He speaks as if nothing in this world can harm me with him by my side. But you never know what can happen.

His eyes darken slightly "Yes, I will. I will protect you from all harm. You are my love, and I will go to any length for you " besides letting me go, my mind adds silently. He has said these words several times, "I will finish off whoever did this."