Chapter 39

A week later

"Roselyn," Arosio says, and my eyes travel up to him. He keeps on trying to make up a conversation, but I'm not sure what he expects me to say to him after announcing he is not some normal man.

"Arosio," I respond. He is already dressed up in his suit attire, ready to leave while I'm looking at the expense and profit of the cafe since the day it opened, which is pretty good.

"You're not okay." He speaks, moving towards me on the bed.

"I am," I say, frowning. I don't have any health issues.

"You're reacting awfully calmly. You're not trying to run or fight with me." He talks to me as if I have a choice. As if I would run and he wouldn't chase me.

"You want me to run?" I raise my brows at him.

"That's something I never want, but you're acting too calm." Yeah, I probably lost the sanity that allowed me to react correctly. The credit goes to him for throwing things at me all the time.

"What do you want me to do?" He leans down on the bed and I move backward.

"You're scared of me." He states with a hard look. Had he expected me not to be after announcing he runs mafia? Not just that, he is the head of the Romano mafia. Yeah, I am acting calm on the outside but it's to hide how scared I am of him. He is the boss. I don't want him to snap at me or be angry. Who knows what he would do? This morning when he was wearing his shirt I saw three scars on his back; an indication of a fight or something, and that was scary. I can see his gun on the holster right now on his belt, he could use it to kill me in a snap. Who wants to anger the capo? 

I suck in a breath through my mouth when he touches my cheek as he leans down more, coming closer to me, "Please, my love. You don't need to be scared of me." He begs, sincere.

"Don't I?" I probe and he shakes his head. Honesty is clear in his eyes which makes me want to trust him but I remember he is the boss. To be capo he must have had to prove his worth. There's no doubt he is clever and smart. He must also be a great actor, tricking people with his words and looks. Every one of his men is scared of him. I've seen it enough by now. The only people who dare look at him are his family and four of his friends. And to have this much wealth and power he must have done tons of things that I don't even want to guess what they might be.

He sits on the bed, lowering his hand down from my face, and takes my hand in his hold gently. His hand always holds some kind of power in them despite the gentleness as if there's a cuff on both of our wrists tying our hold together.

"Is there any way I somehow, showed I would ever hit you?" He hasn't. He has done the exact opposite but that is not something I would thank him for. Because he has no right to hit me even if he wanted to. He didn't purchase me and I'm not his property.

"I-I am getting late for work," I mumble, prying my hand off from his hold, changing the topic.

He smiles, "You don't know how to lie tesoro. You don't leave for work for another two hours."

I lick my lips, glancing at his without realising it in the process of trying to avoid his gaze. His lips open up and I look away from him in front of the wall.

"I need to be there early today," I lie smoothly.

"Is that so?" His voice coming out lively.

I nod my head and he grips my chin turning my head to him. Why doesn't he understands that if I avoid his eyes, it means I don't want to look at him? I despise the look on his face when he looks at me. Full with care and adoration. It makes me think he loves me and that is something I don't want to be true. Even Brielle said he can't love me. She tells me that thing, whenever we talk on the phone. She reminds me to be away from him and not let my guard down.