Chapter 43

Despite the peace, my heart seems to be agitated as I hold her close to me. She is asleep heavily. First, she must have been tired after spending hours at the party, and she must have felt light after the orgasm she had. Her hand is on me. I place a kiss on her head. After what felt like an eternity, I got to kiss her lips tonight. The last time I had kissed her was when we returned home from the hospital while she was poisoned. My gaze shifts to her soft plump lips which are parted slightly. Don't, I remind myself finding myself wanting to place my lips on hers. I kissed her hours ago, but that doesn't mean she has allowed me to do that again and again whenever I wish to. Don't repeat what happened last time.

Thoughts about what her actions, words, and her thoughts would be tomorrow morning run in my mind, and the worst possibilities are something I'm not looking forward to. I have known her well enough by now to know she won't be angry at me, rather she might be upset with herself. If that happens she would cry. Tears streaming down from those deep brown eyes are something that destroys me. The only tears I would tolerate from her are if it were of happiness. But the only tears that left her eyes have been of sadness. She frightens me when she cries. Yes, she has cried so many times after I forced her to me but Riley said the same thing I had concluded about her. That is she doesn't usually cry but once she does she would cry her mind reaches the oblivion state and it takes time for her to get out of that. And even after she does, she doesn't open up fully.

She had said multiple times in the past that I had caged her to me, that's why she is with me but it was the exact opposite. The reason why we were together was that she had managed to prison me to her the day we met without either of our knowledge. Even I hadn't known it until I met her again after years.

I had thought so long about waking up every day with her kisses but I knew it was not possible. It, now, seems possible but I'm not sure. It would only take her remembering what I had done to her for everything in her mind to change before I could even fathom. She would ignore every other feeling and remember only the pain I had given to her. I can't even blame her if she did that.

I feel her move and turn the other way. Encaging her back with my torso I pull her back to me. Her hand rests on top of mine. I nuzzle my face in her neck after removing her hair. She had caged my mind after the first time I met her but I was still the same Arosio as before. Nothing in me changed even though I spent days thinking about her. Even in my sleep, her face would flash like nothing else. Despite I was the same. I only knew I had to expand my mafia and take every power I was offered. Even if it was not offered I took it by force.

The moment Dorian had said he saw her I wanted to get a glimpse of her so, I secretly watched her simply for a single entire day two weeks before I had met her in the café. I watched everything. That one day was enough to break down everything. She had caged me the moment her eyes rose to me but that day she locked that prison.

What the fuck is wrong with me?

I question myself again and again. I never thought about someone this way. Fuck. I never even thought about a person ever in my life. The place where words come to my mind and my heart moves to another place when it comes to her. It always does.

The passion and the will in her drive me even more to her. She is the same as me. Stubborn. Doesn't like to depend on anyone else. But even then I'm dependent on her in some way. More than just some way. A simple word from her can change my entire mood in a snap.

There's no way back.

Not anymore.

The door back to the past me is closed irrevocably.

The only path open is the one leading to her.