1.8

[1.8]

Team Avatar

Her life has been built around work

Her life has been built around work. First was her training in Firebending, then Earthbending, and then Metalbending. Then came the Police Academy and her growth on the ranks of Republic City Police. And in the end, came her duty as Guardian to protect the Avatar.

All her life, Rae Akemi was taught to work hard and achieve the impossible. So, when her own mother put her in the sidelines, she was furious.

"You will be going on medical leave for at least three weeks! One of the Captains will take your place as Deputy-Chief until you are healthy enough to come back."

And now, as Rae stood on the shore of the Air Temple Island, she felt like she failed. Like she failed her job, like she failed Korra. like she failed her mother. She looked at the illuminated city. Her heart filled with worry, knowing in what situation Korra and her mother got themselves into. After she was released from the hospital the same day, Korra told Rae about her doubts about Hiroshi Sato.

The Guardian wanted to go with them to search his mansion, but both Korra and Lin were completely against it.

Jinora approached the woman and put a hand on her shoulder. "They're going to be alright," she said softly. Rae nodded but remained silent, still staring at the sleeping city.

Jinora sat on the rocks next to her. She put Rae's crutch aside and hugged the woman. Rae froze before her hands held the airbending child.

The two girls stayed like that until Jinora fell asleep. Rae, careful not to wake her up or to injure herself, even more, took the girl in her arms and limped back to the temple.

The night went on without any sleep for Rae as she stared at the city, hoping her friends were safe.

-

Rae was trapped on the island. Her mother visited her after they came back from the city and she told Rae everything, about her resignation, about Future Industries being on Amon's side.

The Guardian couldn't attend the inauguration of the new Chief of Police because of Tenzin and Lin. They both decided to keep Rae on the island until she would feel better. And even so, the young Guardian couldn't sneak out without hurting herself more.

She isolated herself in her small quarters, with, on occasions, company from Korra, Meelo, Ikki, or Jinora. She wasn't present when Asami, Mako, and Bolin arrived at the island due to meditating.

A knock was heard at her door and Rae sighed. She got up from her bed, pressing her hand on her bandaged wound, and walked to the door. When she opened it, Asami and the brothers were standing in front of the door with Meelo in front of them.

Meelo jumped and latched himself on Rae's shoulder, making her hiss in pain when he kicked her wound with his foot. Asami's eyes widened while Mako took Meelo by the waist and put him back on the ground.