1.11

[1.11]

United Forces

The underground tunnels turned out to be a safe place for all benders and non-benders that didn't follow Amon

The underground tunnels turned out to be a safe place for all benders and non-benders that didn't follow Amon. Tents have been placed all around the tunnels with the help of the people that already lived there.

Rae locked herself away from the others. She trained almost every hour and helped Bolin and other firebenders and earthbenders with whatever they needed. She had to keep her mind off things.

Things... As in the airbenders, that are nowhere to be found... As in Amon's forces controlling her city... As in her missing mother, that could be anywhere, with anyone...

Every time Korra approached the woman, the young Avatar would complain about Amon's men wandering the city, or about the unknown whereabouts of the Beifong Chief and the Airbending family, or even the long insufferable wait for the United Forces to show up.

Rae couldn't handle it anymore. Korra talked so much about it that the second night in hiding she cracked. The night she snapped at Korra the two women were coming back from infiltrating one of Amon's rallies. Mako, who witnessed everything, thought it was a good idea to confront the Guardian about it later that night. When everyone woke up, they found Mako stuck in metal in one of the tunnels with a bruised nose.

"you deserved it," had muttered Asami when he told everyone what happened.

The Guardian was walking at the back of the group through the big tunnel. Korra, Asami, the brothers, and Rae walking towards the sea, hoping that today would be the day the United Forces arrived.

Seeing what happened between Rae, Mako, and Korra, the awkward silence that hung in the air was even louder than before. Asami was walking closer to Rae while Bolin was walking at an equal distance between the Guardian and his brother.

Korra started to slow down until she was next to Rae. The older woman didn't look at her.

"I'm sorry for worrying you," the Avatar said, "it's just hard for me to stay and do nothing! I'm really sorry for bringing up your mother and the United Forces and everything... I just want this to end faster..."

Rae looked at Korra. She nodded slowly before saying, "I understand." Korra smiled widely and rose her hand, extended her pinkie towards Rae. "Friends forever?"

The older woman looked weirdly at Korra, but the Avatar sent her a glare. Rae sighed and stopped, curving her own pinkie finger around Korra's. "yes... friend forever," muttered Rae, "But I'm not apologizing for punching Mako though, he's been getting on my nerves lately."

Korra's laugh echoed in the tunnel, making Mako turn around and look at the two women. "I never expected you to apologize... Plus, Mako did deserve it," she said, whispering the last part.