3.11

[3.11]

Airbenders

Once again, Rae found herself in a position she hated.

She had never even thought of the possibility of the Red Lotus' escape. After Ming-Hua went ballistics six years ago, tracking down Rae and torturing her into spitting out the Avatar's whereabouts and abilities (to which the Guardian resisted), the infamous criminals remained just nightmares, not strong enough to come back and physically attack. As she tried to recover, Rae aided in the rehabilitation of Ming-Hua's prison. She came up with the idea of the suspended prison above the volcano, making the waterbender's former prison nothing compared to the hell she was about to be put through.

It helped Rae get over the attack, but it didn't mean the memories of it were completely gone. But they were just that, memories, nothing more. It never occurred that they would escape and attack once again.

As Rae watched the metalbenders leave the airship, fear wrapped itself around her mind. Most of it was for Korra, but each time she looked at her mother, aunt and at Iroh, she couldn't suppress the horrible thoughts that creeped in her brain.

"Be careful," she whispered, straightening the man's jacket, and cleaning away the small particles of dust.

"Are you sure you don't want me coming with you?" asked Iroh with worry in his eyes, before he tried to lighten up the mood, "I feel quite useless around your mother..."

Rae let out a small laugh, but she still shook her head. "Go," she whispered again, pushing Iroh gently away from her.

He walked away from her right as Korra stepped next to her body. Turning around, Rae sighed and embraced the young Avatar. They didn't exchanged words, as everything that was meant to say was long forgotten. Korra walked away, leaving Rae with a tight heart.

The engines of the aircraft powered on and they rose in the airs. Rae let out a deep sigh when she felt her connection with the ground break, and she could no longer feel the footsteps of the most important people in her life.

She walked back to the cockpit and sat next to Asami. Soon, they were flying by the air temple.

"Oh man," exclaimed Bolin, making Rae look at him. "Must have been some fight," continued Mako.

"Is it that bad?" asked Rae, walking in between them.

"It's completely destroyed," stated Mako as the radio in his hands buzzed.

"Mako, do you see the airbenders?" asked Korra.

"Not yet. We're just arriving. Don't turn yourself over until I get a visual on them."

Asami flew the aircraft and landed on some polished rocks. Rae took in a long breath when she felt the metal beneath her feet shake. She walked out of the aircraft alongside Bolin, Mako and Asami, only to be met with Ghazan.

"This way," he said, and Rae narrowed her eyes.

Something felt off. She didn't know if it was the spiritual energy of the place that was disturbed or if something happened beneath the mountain on which laid the temple, but Rae couldn't concentrate on anything. The ground emitted a low and irregular tremble that left her unable to concentrate on Ghazan's heartbeat. Her senses were so overwhelmed that she might as well have been completely blind.