4.4

[4.4]

Healing

Three days had passed since Toph tried to cleanse Korra from the remaining poison in her blood system. They did nothing during those days. Rae was often taking strolls around the swamp and meditating, Toph was just sitting and sleeping the whole day and Korra was trying to talk to her, to ease her boredom when Rae wasn't with them.

The third day was the same. Early in the morning, Rae gathered her things and left the cave, enjoying the silenced nature around her with every step she took. A small basket hanging from her arm, she picked up mushrooms and flowers, things she knew Toph could use to make food.

She was gone the whole day and soon, the sun started to make room for the moon. The light was still powerful, casting warm sunshine on Rae's bare shoulders, but the pull of the moon was starting to get stronger.

When she realized her basket was full, she smiled satisfied and started walking back to the cave. But as she took the familiar road back, a small tremor in the vines made her freeze. Her feet shifted so her body would be facing the big tree visible for anyone with working eyes in the distance. A shaking breath escaped her lips as she felt the pull the Banyan-grove tree had on her, but she didn't bother resisting.

Her body worked on its own. She stepped carefully around the vines and roots, holding her basket tightly so the mushrooms wouldn't fall out. It took some time, but when she finally got to the tree, a sigh of relief escaped her lips.

She put the basket at her feet and started climbing the big roots until she was face to face with the truck of the tree. She raised her hand and touched it, smiling widely when she felt the water traveling inside. She turned around, her smile turning sad when she realized she couldn't see the enormity of the swamp like when she was younger.

The swamp was always a place she loved. It was calm and quiet, connected to everything around it. It helped Rae in many ways before, and at the memory of it, a small frown overtook her features. Maybe it could help Korra, she thought. And as if her thoughts had been read, two pairs of footsteps approached.

"Rae?" asked Korra, a confused frown on her face, "What are you doing here?

"hi," said the woman, raising her hand to give a small wave to the Avatar, "just... admiring."

Toph smiled softly at her granddaughter, knowing that this particular place in the swamp was close to her heart. It helped her get over Ming-Hua after the first attack, and it helped her thrive after losing her eyesight. For Rae, the Banyan-grove tree was a safe place.

"The roots of the banyangrove tree spread out for miles in every direction," started Toph, "connecting this whole swamp. Your problem is you've been disconnected for too long, disconnected from the people who love you, and disconnected from yourself."

Rae frowned at the words, not really knowing what the two women were talking about. But in a way, the woman knew what Toph was really talking about it. Rae's knowledge of Korra's struggles was minimal, but the swamp had a way of tricking the mind. It brought back memories, people you hate, people you love, people you lost... even people you don't know yet. By the look of distress on Korra's face, Rae guessed something of that kind must have happened. Visions of the past, in her case.