2.16

[2.16]

The End of an Era

It was too much.

The sounds, the tremors of the ground underneath her feet, too much.

Rae might not have the power of Raava inside her body, but it seemed that her bending didn't go away. And she felt everything through every small touch of her skin with any natural surfaces.

She heard the shouts of Mako and Bolin, begging her to come out of the three stump and help them fight off the spirits. But she was too focused on trying to balance her body. After all, she did see absolutely nothing.

"They are too many," exclaimed Tenzin as they all entered the cavity of the old tree.

Kya was the first to see Rae. The Beifong woman was leaning against the wooden walls of the cavity, her hands glued to the wood even though the horde of tremors overwhelmed her. It was her only way of seeing though her newfound blindness.

"Rae," whispered Kya, abandoning the water she was bending and running to her side. When the Guardian rose her head, Kya gasped. The strong green of her eyes was gone, replaced with an almost grey opaline, and a white-ish pellicle covered her irises.

"I can't see..."

Tenzin's movements stopped at her words. On the surface, she was calm, almost dreamy. Her tone held no pain or anger or sadness. But on the inside, Rae felt like she could collapse any moment.

No one had times to react before a loud crash echoed from outside. Everyone turned to look, while Rae stayed still, not moving from her spot. A few moments of silence passed, and Rae began to think that they had forgotten about her. But the surge of power in her body made her gasp. Her eyes glowed as Raava's spirit split once again and a small part of her entered the Guardians body. And for a moment, when her eyes glowed, she saw. She saw shapes, not quite defined but still shapes, she saw every small vein of every organism around her and the liquid flowing inside. But when her eyes went back to normal, everything disappeared.

Korra whispered her name and Rae turned her head towards the voice.

"it's alright," she said, letting a sad smile engulf her features when Korra's reaction was the same as Kya's, "I can live with it. Now go, it's time for you to get what is yours back."

Rae didn't see the Avatar walk away, but she felt it. Her steps were confident, and Rae found it quite easy to focus on only that. Struggling to not trip and fall, the Guardian walked away from the wall, following Korra's previous steps. She felt the energy around her and felt alive. With careful steps, Rae walked to stand next to Tenzin, still wobbling from side to side when the ground beneath her feet wasn't flat.