2.9

[2.9]

Republic City

The tension was so obvious that Rae hated it. She didn't have many expectations from the new President of Republic City, but she also didn't know he would do completely nothing.

The moment they stepped foot in the city, they were greeted by none other than Lin Beifong. After a heated discussion between the Avatar and the chief, everyone parted ways, leaving Rae alone with her mother.

Lin clearly told her to get dressed up and follow her around the city, knowing that even though Rae wasn't officially part of the police, her help would still be needed.

However, President Raiko paid her a visit to her former office at the Police Station. She was ready to leave, wanting to assist her mother at the peaceful manifestation that took place that night. She wasn't wearing her uniform, but her clothes were still making her look aggressive and frightening. Her all black attire made it possible for her to go around unnoticed as long as she covered her hair, and the tight fabric corset at her waist allowed her to strap an endless number of daggers and small knifes. She had strapped her father's old katana sword to her back, noticing that the weapon had a calming effect on her.

But the arrival of the President completely ruined her plans. He told her that if she were to intervene in the police's work, she would be sanctioned like any other normal citizen for obstruction of justice, and even her mother wouldn't be able to help her. She was forced to retire to her apartment, escorted by the President himself. She couldn't even go out without being followed by his personal guard that was stationed outside of her home.

Her hands were tied, and the moment Iroh stepped in her small apartment the next day, she realized his were tied too.

"There is nothing I can do," he said with a sigh as he sat on the couch, "the President himself threatened to court-martial me if I were to take any action without his consent."

Rae nodded silently and walked to the window. "He paid me a visit too," she said, moving the blinds of the windows slightly so she could catch sight of one of the cars stationed in front of her apartment building, "said something about facing up to seven years of prison for obstruction of justice because I no longer have the status of Police Officer. He even put his little useless men to watch me..."

Iroh let out another sigh and shook his hands. The woman turned away from the window and sat next to him, bringing the two cups of tea from the coffee table closer. In silence, she poured the warm liquid inside and gave one to the general while she sips hers.

"What about Korra?" she asked, facing the man.

"Told her she could ask my family for help," he said, looking in the woman's green eyes, "She accepted the offer and said she would leave for the fire nation as quickly as possible."

Rae nodded. "I wish I could help her," she said with another sigh, "but I'm basically in house arrest. They won't even let my own mother visit. I'm surprised they let you in..."

Iroh looked at the woman with soft eyes. He raised his arm and gently enveloped her boy in a hug. She didn't tear away from him, only let her body relax in his warm embrace.

Thoughts raced in her brain. The tensions between the north and the south grew with every second, and even if she wanted to, Rae couldn't help. The president made sure of it, and even if his orders only applied on Republic territory, she had no way to get to the docks to leave. The men down in the street of her apartment would contact the man himself if she even tried to leave for groceries.