2.2

[2.2]

Discoveries of Destiny

"Guardians are peculiar benders, Rae, you need to understand that."

Rae felt like time had stopped. She didn't know exactly how much time passed since she entered the spirit world, yet the feeling of being too late engulfed her soul. However, she didn't complain. She had to know more about the spiritual side of her powers, and Akeno was the only one that could help her.

The two walked around the spirit world as the man explained everything Rae needed to know. The scenario changed often. Now, they were both walking in a wide poppy field where spirits roamed freely.

"Raava, the spirit of light and peace, the one that gives the Avatar its power, sometimes splits into two. It happened when the power she holds is too great or dangerous to be left in the hands of only one bender. It's the reason why some Avatars have a Guardian, like Korra or Aang, and why some, like Kyoshi, don't."

Rae listened carefully, keeping all the questions to herself.

"This doesn't mean some Avatars are more powerful than others, no," continued Akeno, "the split just happens. It is spontaneous. The Guardian cycle doesn't follow any rules, unlike the Avatar's. Guardian are meant to guide the Avatar, to help them in need. But a big misunderstanding is that the Guardian's purpose is to protect the Avatar."

Akeno stopped and looked at the red flowers around them. A pained expression flashed onto his face.

"The Guardian is, like their title says, a guardian of the world, not only of the Avatar."

Rae frowned. She had read all the scrolls that existed about the Guardian that were given to her. They weren't much, a lot less than for the Avatar. Yet every piece of writing said that the sole purpose of the Guardian is to keep the Avatar safe.

"The Avatar needs guidance, and that comes from the Guardian. They do not need a parent!"

The young woman froze when she felt a wave of power emit from Akeno's spirit. "I thought I had failed Aang," he whispered, falling to his knees, "I thought that by letting him go, I compromised the world. I was taught that if the Guardian couldn't protect the Avatar, they might as well have never existed."

Rae's frown deepened. She walked behind the spirit and put her arm on his shoulder. She felt her surroundings change before she could speak. The beautiful poppy field disappeared and was replaced with the cold ice cave Rae discovered.

When she turned to look around, she frowned. There, sitting on the ice, was her body. Her eyes were closed, her hair was damp, and her hands were clenched to each other.

"Your body is protecting itself from the dark spirit," said Akeno. He was now standing behind her, staring at her meditating form. "They don't like you. Raava's power is too strong in you for their liking..."

Rae remained silent. For the first time she entered the spirit world, she felt cold. Her hands were shivering, and she had to way to warm herself.

"There is something you need to know, Rae Beifong-Akemi..." the woman turned around to look at the male Guardian. She followed him through the tight ice corridors that seemed to never end.

"Guardians, are always martyrs."

She froze.

"They help the greater good. But in the end, they always die. Some say it's their destiny, others say it's a curse. Only a few survived... but I am afraid, Rae, that your time has come..."

A confused frown appeared on her face. Her eyes widened slightly, and her hands started shaking.

"w-what?"

Akeno sighed and turned around to look at the woman. "There will be a fight," he started, "between what we call good and evil. I am afraid you might not come out alive."

"But what about Korra!?" asked Rae, walking closer to the former Guardian. "I can't leave her!" In an instant, she felt her body warm up. She was not cold anymore, her body wasn't shivering like before, but the warmth didn't feel natural.

"I didn't go through all of this," she shouted, showing her scarred palms to the spirit, "just to die because some old and grumpy spirits said so!"

Akeno remained silent. He didn't dare to look at the young bender. But Rae wasn't having any of it.

"The world has change," she stated, more calmly than before, "people don't want martyrs to feel safe. They don't want to see death! They want hope and freedom and to be protected. How can they be protected if their protectors are dead?!"

"Very well..." started Akeno but the woman completely ignored him.

"And what about Korra?" Rae brushed her silver hair out of her face while taking a big breath. "She still needs guidance. What will happen to her if I die? She'll blame herself! That's what she always does! How can the avatar protect people when she's busy taking all the blame?"

Akeno sighed. "I don't remember you talking this much...," whispered the spirit. Rae had stopped talking. She was looking at him with questioning eyes. Though she was still angry, her throat felt sore and couldn't disagree with the man. She never talks this much.

"Very well," repeated Akeno. "I trust your judgement... If you think that the avatar still needs guidance, the spirits will let you live. But there is one condition. For over hundreds of years, the elder Guardian spirits have dictated the life of their ancestors. By doing this, your destiny won't be dictated by the spirits anymore... But something you love dearly will be taken away from you, forever. It will be this sacrifice, for your freedom."

Before she could say anything, Rae felt a surge of energy through her body. In an instant, she felt her feet slip from the ground. The cold ice came in contact with her back and head, making a hideous hiss escaped her lips.

She stayed on the ground for a few minutes, until most of the pain faded away. Slowly, she rose her hand and touched the back of her head. When she felt the warm familiar liquid tickle her fingertips, she groaned and slowly rose to sit more comfortably on the ice.

Her head turned to all directions. There was no Akeno anymore. She was all alone in the gigantic ice cave, with blood coming out of her head and, probably, with a cracked skull.

"I'm being dramatic," she mumbled to herself wiping away the blood from her hand on her trousers, "And probably crazy too." The small shadow of the dragon spirit danced in front of her eyes. Red and orange colours flew around her, but it took Rae quite some time to see everything clearly. It seemed that the fall also affected her vision.

When her surroundings weren't as blurry as before, she finally saw the small dragon spirit as clear as water. He was flying around Rae's face, not caring about the uncomfortable proximity. In all honesty, he probably doesn't even understand social distancing, she told herself.

"Great," Rae whispered, "now I'm talking to myself about the intelligence of a spirit... I need to see a healer."

Before she could analyse the spirit better, an echo of hurried footsteps made her freeze.

~