2.14

[2.14]

Vaatu

"Are we sure this is going to work?"

Rae's voice was barely audible. The havoc cause by Asami and the brothers was ringing in their ears. The guardian was standing up on Oogie, much to her dismay, after Tenzin asked her to search for a way to the portal.

"Are you seeing an opening?" asked Korra, ignoring her previous question.

"I can't really see anything, no," said Rae with an amused tone to which Tenzin and the Avatar frowned in confusion. Still, the woman ignored their questioning stares. "The portal is surrounded by spirits," she cried over the crashing sounds that occurred below them, guessing that the flying patches of purple in the visions must be dark spirits.

"Let's circle around and see if we can find a way in from the other side" said Tenzin while gripping Oogi's reigns.

The bison moved, making Rae wobble on her feet, but she swiftly grabbed the saddle in front of her and regained her balance.

"Hold on!"

Rae lost her foot when a dark spirit surged at them and fell on her back. Her eyes widened and she grabbed the saddle in surprise and fear of wall down. She got back to her feet and took off the bandages around her hands that Kya insisted she wore. Her fire blasts were powerful, blinding blue, almost white fire scaring some of the spirits away while Korra airbender some.

"The spirits are weighting Oogi down. We're losing altitude!"

When Rae turned to look back at the sudden voice, she saw Bumi gripping one of the spirits. "If I go down, you're going down with me!" The Guardian's eyes widened when the spirit let go of the flying bison and crashed in the snow, Bumi still on its back.

"Bumi!"

"Commander?!"

Kya and the Guardian both stared at the place where Bumi fell with wide eyes. "He'll be ok, right?" asked Rae quietly, but Kya didn't have time to answer when Oogie crashed down in the snow.

Rae rolled up on the ground, snow making its way underneath her coat. She groaned, blinking rapidly, and trying to make the blur go away. Her head hurt and she felt as if her body was frozen. Her hands were the only part of her body that weren't numb, but the pain that jolted in them didn't give Rae the chance to use her bending to warm herself.

Her eyes slowly closed, and she didn't try to pry them open again, knowing that it would cause her more pain. And so, she let herself fall unconscious.

~

Unalaq's voice has always been, and will always be, the most annoying thing Rae had ever heard. She kept her head low, her hands tied behind her back, and listened carefully to his words, even though her body told her to get up and bend a metal muzzle to his face.