Our Date

"We're here." Jared says as he stops the truck.

I look around and were in a field. It's empty as far as I can see. I look over at Jared as he turns the truck off. If I was nervous before then I'm a wreck of nerves now.

"Where are we?" I'm confused. This isn't where dates are generally.

"You don't remember?" Jared smiles.

"No?" I question.

"Remember prom night?" He grabs my shaking hand.

"Yes." I smile as I remember that night. Oh the memories.

"This is where we came afterwards."

I remember now. We laid in the back of the truck and he sang to me. We kissed that night. But it's raining tonight.

"I wish it wasn't raining. We could lay in the bed and watch the sky again." The truck is pitch black and I can hardly see Jared.

"Well I actually thought of that. Come on. We'll have to hurry so we don't get drenched." He opens the door and hurries out. I laugh as I push my door open and jump out into the cool rain.

He drops the tailgate and I slide inside hurriedly. I'm greeted with pillows and blankets all around me. Jared follows me inside ungracefully and pulls the tailgate closed. I squint my eyes to watch him situate the top so we don't get wet.

"There. We should be good." He turns to me.

"I can't believe you planned all this." I really can't. He put more thought into this date than I can imagine.

"We're just getting started too. There's some battery powered lanterns behind you if you wanna get one out." He sits across from me. I turn and feel around until I find the cool plastic. I turn the knob and the place lights up.

"Oh Jared. This is perfect." I sigh dreamily. I've never been on a more perfect date.

"I'm glad your happy." He smiles charmingly.

"You always make me happy." I slide my shoes off and put them under a corner.

"I like making you happy. It's something I've always strived for."

We sit in a comfortable silence and I look up to see Jared looking at me. I pat the space beside me. He slips his shoes off and moves beside me.

"I brought my guitar too. I wanna play for you." He smiles and I can see a small blush creep to his cheeks.

"I love when you play Jared. You don't do it enough." I smile and grab his hand softly. His hands are large and rough from working all the time. They fit well against mine. I like how he feels.

"I'll play for you everyday if you asked me too." He faces me and my heart drops. Oh my goodness. This sweet, handsome man.

"Will you play for me now?" I lick my lips. My mouth is so dry.

"Anything for you." He reaches behind him and pulls his guitar case out.

"Did you bring food and drinks?" I fidget.

"Yeah. I made a picnic thing. It's all here." He grabs a mini cooler and places it in front of us. I open it and grab a bottle of water.

"Do you wanna eat first?" He's nervous. As nervous as I am.

"No I just needed something to drink." I close the cooler and set it back behind us.

"Me too." He smirks before pulling my water out of my hands and drinking it.